Ultrasonex Phaser Toothbrush

Ultrasonex Phaser Toothbrush

Review of "Ultrasonex Phaser Toothbrush"

published 25/11/2005 | Tansi53
Member since : 20/11/2005
Pro It works and keeps working!
Cons Difficult head replacement.
Ease of Use
Improvement on Teeth Condition

"It doesn't clean carpets!"

I was going to live in the USA (a long story but a short emigration as it turned out). Knowing the reputation we Brit's have in the states for having bad teeth I wanted to make sure mine were at least the best they could be without dental surgery. I'd already been told by my dentist that my gums were receding due to over zealous brushing so I thought I'd go down the route of the electric toothbrush.

After buying, using and binning a number of cheaper electric toothbrushes (for a variety of reasons but mostly because they stop working!) I decided to spend a bit more.

At last I chose a good'un.

Although the Ultrasonex Phaser was much more expensive than the previous products I had used and discarded, I have actually spent less over the time I have been using it because….. IT STILL WORKS and WORKS WELL!

It cost me about £79 when I bought it but this price has come down to a more reasonable £59.99 in Argos today, £35.00 at Littlewoods and a much more reasonable £29.97 with free delivery from Amazon.co.uk. It's likely that a further search on the net would reveal other, possibly better, prices.

The toothbrush itself is quite long, measuring 27 cms but it's comfortable to hold. Although slightly awkward to use initially (for we souls who are still half asleep in the mornings and go through our morning ablutions on automatic pilot) you very quickly become accustomed to the length and no longer attempt to clean your tonsils. (Joke!).

The instructions provide very useful (and not so useful) information for the electric toothbrush novice.
The 'important safeguards' cover important points such as 'Don't let children under 10 use the toothbrush' and 'Don't handle the charger with wet hands' and extremely important points such as 'Don't use the toothbrush or charger for any purpose other than those described in these instructions' (so no carpet cleaning then) and 'Keep the toothbrush…..away from hotplates, hobs and burners' (Enough said!)

The 'How to use it' guide is idiot proof going through each minute step (including 'Put it in your mouth'!).

Now to the important bits as far as I am concerned:

1. Price. (I've already covered that).
2. How long does a charge last? Well I have found that the charge lasts about 5 days which can mean that there is a need to carry the charger with you if you go away but other users report longer use times.
3. Can you recharge without draining the battery? Yes… oh joy….yes. I think this is an important criterion when buying anything rechargeable.
4. Does it clean your teeth? Yes. My teeth have definitely looked and felt cleaner and brighter. (I didn't add to the stereotype and show us up in the States! [On a personal note… in the area of the States I was in the residents could have made use of this product!)
5. Are replacement heads easily available? Yes. I have found the best buy for these are at Amazon.co.uk at 3 heads for £12.99.
6. Do you need to replace the heads often? Well, the instructions suggest a maximum of 3 months before changing heads. This is probably advisable although I have used the same head for longer than this and my teeth still feel good….maybe they could be better! The heads are very difficult to change (at least for me) so I tend to stretch the usage time beyond the limits given.

Technical bits for those who understand them:
1. Optimum 18,000 strokes per minute for maximum performance with Ultrasound
2. Sensitive 9,000 strokes per minute with Ultrasound
3. Pacer function- the timer turns the brush off every 30 seconds as a reminder to change brush position Light weight and easy grip handle
4. Nickel metal hydride battery (no memory effect)
5. Charge Indicator
6. Recharging stand
7. Includes 4 brush heads (1 years worth)
8. 2 year manufacturer's guarantee
9. Combines low frequency (sonic) vibrations with high (ultrasonic) vibrations.
10. You can choose a sonic vibration of either 9000 per minute (150Hz) or 18000 per minute (300Hz)

I've found the toothbrush I intend to stick with. Although there is an after sales service and a 1 year guarantee (keep your till receipt), I have not had to think about using it.
Although the charger makes a high pitched squeal when charging, I can live with that. (Maybe it's just my one). The lights on the toothbrush tell you when the product is in use (Hmm) and charging.

So, if you want clean, white teeth and don't need a carpet cleaner…. Go ahead, treat yourself.

Thanks for reading this, I hope it helps.

• beccie published 13/03/2006
    I've got a huge fetish about my teeth, and its prob the same reason as yours. I went to the states for 9 months a couple of years ago and since I've come back I've whiten, flossed and brushed mine to oblivian. I can't believe theirs are so white!! I havent used this product but since the huge price drop, I'm gonna take a gander. Good review:-)
  • dudekri published 19/02/2006
    You seem to have covered this in some immense detail. Nice review :D. Time to invest in one since my back tooth started to crumble recently :O.
  • darkangelwing published 18/12/2005
    nice review man, well done