RebeccaLo... 4

RebeccaLovesBooks

About me: I'm Rebecca, and I love to read. Most of my reviews will be about books, but occasionally I'll have something else that I think is worthy of a review :)

Member since:08.06.2013

A different kind of Shifter story

18.09.2013

Advantages:
Interesting concept .  Interesting characters .  Fast paced plot .

Disadvantages:
Spelling and grammar issues .

Would you read it again?

Story

Characters

Readability

How does it compare to similar books?

How does it compare to other works by the same author?

32 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. supersonic75
  2. angelboouk123
  3. claireylulu

'If not for his beady eyes and puny size, he may have been considered distinguished looking by some. But she was all about the eyes, and his held a madness within the squinty glare.'

Plot

Grace gave up on love a long time ago, when her fiance Henry disappeared in the swamp. When she met Damien, a shape-shifter, she hoped to build a connection with him, only to find him gone the next morning.

Hidden in his cave, Damien regrets his decision to walk away from Grace. He thinks she's too good for him, and tries to stay away. But when he hears that Grace is in danger, he rushes to her aid.

Grace and Damien find themselves connecting in ways they didn't believe possible, until a secret from the past threatens any relationship that they might have. As Grace is thrust into more danger, the animal in Damien surfaces to protect her.
My thoughts

I was generously given a free Kindle edition of this book in exchange for a review. I really enjoyed the story and the concept, as it was different to other shape-shifter stories that I've read. Shape-shifters in this book aren't born with the talent; they were cursed by an evil swamp witch to share part of their body and soul with an animal. Instead of turning into that animal, the shifters take on qualities of the animal instead, which I found really interesting.

Damien is an Armadillo shifter, which I'd never seen in another book before. Changing fully into an Armadillo probably wouldn't be very helpful, but Damien has armoured skin from his Armadillo counterpart which proves useful later.

This is the second book in the Swamp Magic series, so I was a little confused at the start of the book, since I hadn't read the first one. I felt a bit lost at times, but as the story progresses the main events from the first book are explained. I probably would have enjoyed this book more if I'd read the first one, as everything would have been clearer.

I found myself getting lost in the dialogue sometimes too. It wasn't always obvious who was talking, and I had to backtrack occasionally to work out who was speaking. There were also a few spelling and grammar issues that sometimes made the story difficult to follow, so I feel that some editing is needed to improve it. The story is fascinating and really enjoyable, but unfortunately the mistakes did detract from my enjoyment at times.

At times I felt that Damien's protective nature towards Grace was a bit over the top, but this could be intended as a portrayal of his animal side.He often refers to Grace as his mate and belonging to him, which again is probably his animal side coming out.

I really felt sorry for Grace when a secret from her past emerges. At this point of the story, she's already gone through enough upset without this bombshell. Her ability to pull herself together is amazing, and I'm sure she could have done it without Damien at her side.

Overall, I really enjoyed the concept of the story and the fast-paced plot. This was certainly different from other Shifter themed books that I've read, and I may read the first in the series to give myself a better understanding of this one. It's a shame about the spelling and grammar mistakes in this book, as it did take away from the story for me.

The Author

This book was written by Bobbi Romans who provided me with a free copy to read and review. This is the second book in the Swamp Magic series.
Book Info

Kindle Edition - £3.29 on Amazon
ASIN - B00D5X6JA4
Estimated Page Numbers - 156

Add the first comment!

Deep in the humid swamps, a sorcerous war rages. Demetrius, heir to the late Swamp Witch, hunts down the men his mo...

Title Under the Full Moon

2. angelboouk123
  3. claireylulu

Unwed and Unrepentant - Margeurite Kaye

Unwed and Unrepentant - Margeurite Kaye

(+) Strong characters. Steamy romance. Relaxing read.
(-) None for me

Are you the manufacturer / provider of Under the Full Moon - Bobbi Romans? Click here