exup35 3

exup35

Member since:05.01.2007

keep it under your leathers, unless you have the body of an X-man

22.03.2011

Advantages:
good in hot and cold weather  -  increase comfort

Disadvantages:
thumb holes next to useless and painful, keep it out of view unless you have a toned physique

13 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. funkyshoes3
  2. misskw
  3. TheHairyGodmother

Hot and Cold

Compared to other thermal layers for motorcycling - which look like white support hosiery, and probably not too good for the image, (unless you watch Countdown, eat 7 seas cod liver oil capsules like smarties, and think the people advertising over 50 price plans on TV are young whipper snappers}.

So manufacturers have been coming up with different materials and design to try to make the thermal kit a little more accessible.
Most modern kit now is designed to be all weather - acting as insulation against the cold, and allowing you to lose excess heat quickly when its hot; the hot being more of the reason I took an interest in this product - not so much for motorcycling, but go karting where my body temp tends to soar.
JOZXYQK ! ! !

The suit goes on easily enough, it does fit quite snugly but there is enough stretch in the material to accomdate the shape of your body as you pull it on. Careful with the front zip though, especially if you're a guy.
(Hence "Jozxyqk" which if you have watched Red Dwarf - It was a cat word played in Scrabble - If you haven't seen the show, search "Jozxyqk" on youtube)
There's a couple of holes in the ends of each sleeve, which I thought was a rip at first, but then realised they are for your thumbs to hook through to stop the material dragging up your forearms as you bend and extend your arm.

The box claims that the suit reduces friction, and although it does make getting motorcycle clothing on over the top easy enough, I'm not sure where else this may be a benefit, unless you are tumbling down the road, and your outgear is rotating around your skin, rather than grabbing it causing injuries.
Not for purpose

Just to see how good the suit is, I tried it under my cycle gear and used it on the mountain bike - which to get home from work is all uphill. Have to say that the suit did keep me warm before I really started the hard climb - considering that it was 3 in the morning and quite chilly/damp. However once the graft started, I didn't have any problem with overheating, despite having an extra layer over the top. However the thumb holes were the biggest pain - literally, and it wasn't long before they started cutting into my hands, reducing the circulation and leaving a deep crease all round the base of my thumbs when I took the gear off at the end of the ride. Whether you are riding wearing cycling gloves or motorcycle gloves it's more than likely to do the same thing.
Strangely though, even though the legs didn't really ride up that much anyway once sat on the bike, I'm suprised that they cut holes for the thumbs, but didn't include ankle straps for the feet.
I'd like to point out though, that this suit is designed for under motorcycle gear, not pedal cycle, although it performed ok.

100 mile test

So how would the suit handle the 100 mile/ 90 minute ride to my girlfriends house?
This is what the suit is designed for, so I would be suprised if it didn't make things more comfortable with the still cold weather we have around mid March.
Outer clothing worn is my textile Triumph gear which I had already reviewed.
Didn't bother using the thumb holes, and it didn't really affect the sleeves that much to be a problem anyway. I was acutely aware of the ankles riding up a little, but mainly because I was wearing a motorcycle paddock boot, as opposed to a longer leg motorcycle racing boot - but it wasn't long before I forgot about that too.
As for other clothing, just socks and boxers - hmm, strange, when I started planning this review, I didn't consider what points I might have been adding. I don't suppose you want to know the colour of the shorts? Er.. well actually as the suit material is close to the skin, made from polyester, then what colour you wear is going to stand out pretty much, so probably better off with anything under it to be black aswell.

The zip is two way so if you need to hop of the bike for a call of nature then it makes it easier to do your tribute to animated film "Over the Hedge".
Watch this second zip fastener though, as it is even more likely to cause a "Jozxyqk" moment. You really don't want to be like my motorcycling friend who, on a night time run home - after catching himself in his leathers, was unable to work himself free and had to ride the last 10 miles or so to his hometown to get help from the local polce station. Not a conversation you want to have - although it didn't happen to me, so I have no problem recounting it . .

As for the journey though, I did stay comfortably warm,which helps with concentration over a long journey. The suit didn't cause any irritation problems which some people have complained with traditional thermal gear so another bonus.
lose weight now, ask me how

Just wear this suit; due to the material it's made from, and the snug fit - then you will either need a very toned body, or make sure you keep it hidden under your outer wear. With running and cycling (even though I say it myself) I have thunderthighs, but my leg muscles are toned enough to get away with it - at least for the bottom half. My stomach though isn't, and the material certainly isn't flattering.
Oh well - I need to lose weight for the upcoming annual go kart endurance so this will provide some impetus.

The suit itself is easily washed and dried, and weighs about as much as a normal T shirt, so its barely noticeable when its on.
Only seems to be available in black -and the best deal I found was at mickbyrne.co.uk for £19.99 (plus a couple quid delivery)
This isn't a one size fits all however, so you need to know your chest size for ordering - Although on the website it doesn't say whether the product is unisex, I have seen other sites with men and women modelling the clothing.

Myredpip 22.03.2011 15:16