Review of "Urban Decay Nail Enamel"

published 20/09/2004 | kez17
Member since : 30/07/2003
Good
Pro Stunning colours
Cons Careful application needed!!
Chips Easily?
Features

"Fantastic array of colours but mediocre product"

Urban Decay Nail Varnish

Urban Decay Nail Varnish

I found this product on a recent visit to a cosmetics website. I had been doing an order for all those essential items (and a little Christmas shopping too!! (i'm not mad - just spreading the cost), when I came across the Urban Decay range of nail varnishes.

What caught my eye was the fantastic colours and the great names given to these colours. Names such as Hot Pants / AC DC (a metallic purple) / Bruise / Cult / Graffiti (a blue-grey with lavendar) / Toxin (decribed as a semi-sheer holographic purple) and Exhaust (lavendar with silver flecks) to name a few. The prices ranged from £2.50 to £3.99, however, the recommended retail price of these nail varnishes is £8.95. I chose a colour called 'O', which is a vibrant Fuschia deep pinky colour, as a little treat to myself and eagerly awaited the arrival of my parcel.

Whhaaahay, my parcel arrived on Friday (I get excited about these things!!) and after work, I set about giving myself a manicure. The filing, reshaping and so on complete, I set about applying my new purchase. The product comes in a 10ml size bottle. Little information is given on the bottle itself (just the company name on the front and the amount of liquid (10ml) on the back). There is a small peel off sticker with all the other product information on the bottom of the bottle, giving the ingredient list, warnings to stay away from naked flames etc. The write up on this product, when I purchased it said that has a newly designed bottle, new ergonomic cap, new brush and new formula. As this is the first time I have tried this product, I have to assume that this is correct. The cap certainly was easy to grip helping application and the formula is glossy and shiny to begin with. I shook the bottle well and began my application. I discovered that you had to judge just the right amount of liquid on the brush. Although the 'new' brush was an excellent size for the job, if you had too little varnish, it would quickly start to set and drag along the nail. Too much and you are in danger of getting into a right mess, as the varnish would run down the brush and end up with a huge blob of excess varnish on your nail.

So once I'd found the perfect quantity on each application, I was away with pretty, shiny, glossy nails. The drying time wasn't too excessive but one thing I'll mention now, this varnish does give a very pungent 'nail polish' smell - more pungent than most varnishes I've used. The colour at this point, I was very pleased with and even received a few comments regarding the beautiful colour. This however was not to last.

I had only managed to apply one coat on this occasion. So thought this was the reason for the excess chipping throughout the next day at work. By the time I had finished for the day, my nails had a much varnish missing as there was present. Again I thought may be it was because I had been a bit heavy handed causing the varnish to chip, so I gave it a second chance. That evening I removed, then re-applied the varnish again. This time in two coats and applied to my toes as well. I had more success this time and the varnish lasted a few days longer before needing to be removed on my fingers. My toes have lasted over a week with only minimal signs of chipping, although the gloss and shine has considerably depreciated.

I have rated this product as satisfactory with an overall rating of average - purely because for the amount I paid (This purchase cost me £2.75). Had I have paid the RRP, I would rate it differently and wouldn't have found the product as 'value for money' or satisfactory as it's quality and 'lasting power' lets it down. I would only recommend it to others at a reduced price.

• Jordon published 21/12/2004
    Never wear the stuff
  • ElizaF published 21/09/2004
    I haven't used varnish in years and I don't think this is the brand that will tempt me back to using it again :) xx E.
  • MAFARRIMOND published 20/09/2004
    They don't sound good at all. Maureen