Review of "Urban Decay Nail Enamel"

published 06/10/2011 | MalibuMands
Member since : 13/05/2010
I'm MalibuMands on DooYoo andMakeUpAlley, as well as Malibu on Fragrantica, so the majority of my reviews are based around cosmetics and fragrances. I'll continue to mix these reviews with ones from other categories to keep things interesting xx
Satisfactory
Pro Can be found cheaply,
Cons limited shade selection, brush, wear, discontinued.
Chips Easily?
Features

"Cheap, but not that cheerful..."

- - - - - - - - - - -
The formula
- - - - - - - - - - -

The best thing about Urban Decay polishes for me had to be the choice in finishes they offered: They had a few creme finishes, but they specialised in glitters and shimmers which weren't commonly found when I was younger, outside of the Constance Carroll selection in the corner shop. If I wanted to be really exotic they also had a metallic finish and a holographic one too.

And all of the different finishes were so smooth [except Midnight Cowboy] on application - even the ones that contain glitter - and dried in a nice shine.

I was also very impressed with the drying time; My nails were touch dry in around two minutes. And applying multiple layers didn't drastically affect drying time either; Just double it to make sure.

But what made the polish so smooth and fast drying was the fact that that formula was so sheer - it had a similar consistency to water. It would take at least three coats to achieve a solid look, often four. Since the formula of the polish is sheer, they as as usable now as they were when they were first produced, and since nail polish doesn't have a shelf life, it's safe to give the brand a go if you're curious.

Urban Decay do not test on animals.

The brush
- - - - - - - - - -

A big issue I had with the brushes was how stiff the bristles were. This made controlling and evenly spreading the runny formula of the polishes very difficult. The brush had a thin head so it would take several stokes to coat the nail.

The lid was shaped to be easy to grip which helped somewhat with application.

- - - - - -
Wear
- - - - - -

The big turn - off for me was the poor lasting power all of the finishes shared. Most times the polish would begin to show wear in under one day - with a base AND top coat.

Occasionally the polish would last for two days, but that is likely thanks to the performance of my base and top coats. I wouldn't recommend wearing Urban Decay polishes without using a base and top coat, so you can't just grab a bottle for a quick colour change for a night out - you have to sit down and carefully apply multiple layers and wait for them all to dry before proceeding.

I've read enough reviews for the Urban Decay polishes to conclude that I'm far from the only person to have issues with the extremely poor lasting power and I think the bad feedback had something to do with why Urban Decay stopped making polishes.

The colours
- - - - - - - - - -

The majority of Urban Decays nail polishes were coloured and named after their most popular eyeshadow shades. After a while the colours they produced started to look similar; The most most popular colour being pink. For a brand so well known for it's amazing colour choice in other products, the base colours used in the original line-up were a bit disappointing.

I've noted the colours I've had in the past and ones that are still for sale today.
[Urban Decay have since launched a limited edition 'Summer Of Love' collection, which I've not added since I don't know if the formula has changed].

Midnight Cowboy - Beige loaded down with holographic shimmer. The only shade containing glitter that dried in a lumpy finish.
Kiss - Blue based red with pink shimmer.
Freakshow - Lilac with blue/green iridescence. My favourite UD shade.
Toxin - Deep purple with multi-coloured micro glitter. Similar to Clarins much-sought-after #230 polish shade.
X - Medium purple with copper/gold micro glitter.
Fluorescent - A sheer opal with a pearly finish.
Bruise - Peacock with gold micro glitter.
Asphyxia - Light pink with sliver flashes and a shimmery finish.
Big Bang - Hot pink with silver micro glitter. Very similar to 'Trip'.
Perversion - Shiny black creme. Only needs one coat.
AC/DC - Violet with silver micro glitter.
Metropolitan - Burgundy shimmer.
Exhaust - Lavender with silver micro glitter.
Burn Out - Golden peach with a shimmery finish.
ID - Orange based pink with gold micro glitter.
Trip - Fuchsia with a shimmery finish. It's almost neon.
Pipe Dream - Peach/pink with gold and green flashes.
Gash - Cranberry red with a metallic finish.
Twisted - Light gold with a green undertone and shimmery finish.
Baked - Medium, shimmering gold.
Strip - Medium silver with a metallic finish.
Trailer Trash - Gunmetal with silver micro glitter.
Easy Rider - Opal with silver micro glitter.
Sin - Shimmering pinkish nude.
O - Berry toned burgundy, with flashes of purple.
Brick House - Deep red creme.

- - - - -
Price
- - - - -

You can buy the polishes for £2 to £4 per bottle [10 ml] on Amazon UK.

Urban Decay discontinued their nail polish line five years ago, but the range still is easy to find on Ebay and many other online retailers.

Some discount shops also stock it and I've even seen bottles in my local Superdrug too.

• Jake_Speed published 10/10/2011
    Doesn't sound too clever!
  • LadyValkyrie published 09/10/2011
    Think I'll stick to Barry M. ;)
  • mumsymary published 08/10/2011
    I do not know this brand