Urban Spirit Creative Hairdressing

Review of "Urban Spirit Creative Hairdressing"

published 25/06/2012 | dawnymarie
Member since : 01/12/2010
Pro Talented stylists who are up to date and make you feel fabulous
Cons Wish I had found it sooner
Location
Prices
Service
Range of services available

"Five Star Salon"

Urban Spirit

Why this salon?

I wanted a stylist who was up to date with the latest cutting techniques and who was capable of creating a style to complement my face shape. I had been loyal to my previous salon for over five years and I found that the enthusiasm was dwindling, staff morale was often low and the standard of cutting had lowered. It would be nice to be going to an attractive environment too as my previous salon was in need of some TLC and was looking shabby.

My daughter had been to Urban Spirit and for the first time her side fringe was how she wanted it. She presented me with a voucher for a half price cut and finish which tempted me and I booked an appointment with a creative designer.

The Urban experience lifted my spirits…

I looked online to select my stylist as there are five categories starting with ‘designer’ and going all the way to the top stylists who are given the title of ‘artistic director’. I chose the mid range of ‘creative designer’ as you pay more and more for the more senior the stylist. A cut and finish would be £32 with Lyndsey, my chosen stylist, but with my voucher it would be £16! Also once I had attended an appointment they would send my daughter a voucher for a half price service as she recommended me. This promotion seems to be long term and is well worth participating in as 50% off is a massive saving.

I could have booked my appointment online and it would be confirmed by text but I like to do things the old fashioned way and speak to a person so that I know I’m definitely booked in. The lady who answered the telephone was most polite and professional and I also felt comfortable speaking to her - when I’m in a salon I like it to feel warm and friendly so this reassured me - the appointment was arranged without any problems.

A few days before the appointment I received a text reminder which I thought very handy as it can be easy to overlook appointments when you are preoccupied.

On the day, I arrived in good time and was asked to take a seat in a comfortable chair until my stylist joined me. The outside of the salon was modern and attractive - once inside I felt relieved to see up to date interior and attractive, clean décor. For me a visit to a salon is a treat and pamper so the environment needs to be uplifting and well maintained in order to complement the treatment.

I noted that the salon was busy but this did not prevent the girls who worked there from being welcoming and polite. I was offered a drink and could read magazines whilst I waited. The magazines were current - this is always nice.

I didn’t have to wait long before Lindsey attended to me. She was dressed professionally, as all staff are, and had a friendly personality. I felt at ease with her straight away, this is the make or break for me in a salon as if I feel uncomfortable I won’t go again. She discussed at length what I wanted doing, what condition I thought my hair was in and if I had any issues with it when styling.

I noted that the salon uses Paul Mitchell products and this was a big bonus as they are cruelty free. Throughout the session you are told what products are being used, what they do and how to use them. That is as far as it goes - you are never coaxed or harassed into purchasing them - in fact quite the opposite, I have had to ask them if I could make a purchase. This is another positive in my opinion as I don’t like to be pestered into buying products.

The hair washing station is through two doors in the back room of the salon. This makes the experience private and I thought it was another reason to go back. I felt like I could relax properly with little interruption and out of view of shoppers walking by the salon. I was offered complimentary treatments! A really nice gesture and yet another reason to go back. You can choose from hand massage, cool eye mask, cool water spritz and a couple of other treats. I opted for the eye mask which was refreshing and helped relax me too. I totally love the hair washing time in this salon as you get a wonderful deep head massage included - I opted for my other free treat to be the extended head massage as I just can’t get enough! The massage lasts about five minutes and did not feel rushed or slap happy (I have had experiences in other salons where it consists of one press of the thumbs and that is your lot) it was deeply relaxing.

Once in the chair I was in the care of Lyndsey and she set to work designing my hair. Unlike other stylists that I have experienced, she asked me how much should she cut off the length and checked all the way through the cutting if I was happy with what she was going to do. It felt like a partnership rather than something being done whether I was happy with it or not. I was really impressed with her technique, confidence and talent. When the cut was completed she discussed how it would be styled and once again I got a say rather than wondering what the outcome would be.

Lyndsey cut the length to suit my face shape and I was really impressed as it actually does!

She styled my hair with the hairdryer and a number of different brushes before finishing off with the straightening irons. Some finishing product was added to maintain the style with a natural bounce and then a mirror to view the back of my hair was brought. I was very happy with her work and knew that I would be back again.

After paying I was informed by Lyndsey that I am entitled to a complimentary, customer, fringe trim in between appointments - this is good as it avoids the temptation to have a little snip myself when my fringe gets in my eyes - and she advised me that I can contact her if I have any problems with my hair and she will do her best to help.

I paid half price and didn’t have to remind her about it. She then gave me another voucher for 10% off my next appointment. I know this is a good way to keep customers but in all honesty I can tell you that no matter what a salon offered me if I was not happy I would not be back. I would rather pay full price and have a wonderful experience.

It's worth noting that this salon actually opens on a Monday which is uncommon for salons in our area - I like a Monday appointment so it suits me well.

What you need to know about the Urban Spirits…

Location..

Clientele..

Women
Men

Treatments..

Comprehensive and up to date - see website

Promotions..

Recommend a friend
Student savings
Senior savings

Accessibility..

Salon and hair wash station all on ground floor, no steps to encounter. Wash basins are the kind that you lean your head back into.

Prices..

Cut and finish starts at £24

See website for a full listing of the many other services

Website..

Star Rating...

Five stars for this award winning salon.

Recommendation...

I have been a client at this salon for quite some time now and can highly recommend it. My stylist is a creative designer called Lyndsey and she is very talented. I don’t feel comfortable recommending salons normally as I have never felt fully happy about every aspect of an establishment. For me the whole experience needs to be of a very high standard before I will even consider mentioning them to anyone else. I feel very happy to recommend Urban Spirit. The salon is clean, up to date and has a modern feel. The atmosphere is friendly and welcoming without being patronising. Refreshments are offered no matter how long you are likely to be in the salon. The staff morale is good and the junior staff are treated with respect as part of the team - I don’t like seeing senior members being unkind to juniors. The wash room experience is bliss and you get free extra treats which is a nice gesture. Promotions make the experience a bargain at times. The standard of cutting and finishing is very high - my hair is exactly how I want it and easy to manage and it looks fabulous. The staff will go the extra mile and find a style on the internet for you when you have forgotten your picture (yes that has happened to me). I like the explanation of products and have purchased because I wanted them and not because I felt obliged or pressurised. An excellent salon all round.
Also published on Dooyoo