Single Track from Kings of Leon - Genre: Alternative - Release Year: 2008

Review of "Use Somebody - Kings of Leon (Single)"

published 03/09/2010 | kingofreviewing
Member since : 29/08/2010
Pro Amazing song you can wake up to feeling refreshed
Cons Way way way overplayed
Originality
Quality of Lyrics/Music
How does it compare to the artist's other releases?

"From sexual to loving?"

==The band==

Kings of Leon are literally a family band consisting of the three Followill brothers and their cousin who is another Followill. For some reason they are a kind of mix between Coldplay and Nirvana, the genre is a fusion of classic rock and modern indie and the coarse voice in the songs adds emotion and brings their songs to life.

==What the Fans think==

Kings of Leon have been around for many years (since 1999) but only got attention in mid 2008 with the release of the iconic song ‘Sex on Fire.’They failed to woo the crowd last week at the ‘V Festival’ whilst performing lesser known tracks but the the crowd was well and truly set on fire with their 2 clichéd but brilliant songs. Unfortunately I have come to realise that ‘Use Somebody was a track which not only everyone overplayed but I myself kept on repeat and listened to over and over again until I ruined the song for myself.

==The Song==

Kings of Leon were fated to release a beautiful number 'Use Somebody' after their catchy and original song 'Sex on Fire' hit the charts. NME claim that ‘Use Somebody’ was nominated for Song of the Year, Record of the Year, Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal and Best Rock Song, winning the last three. It was well received here in the UK remaining top of the charts for six consecutive weeks. Many made covers for this song including ‘Pixie Lott, Trey Songz and Brooke white.’ And while all this was happening TV talent shows did not fail in young hopefuls attempting to become the next Caleb Followill. Use somebody was certainly song of the year and every Indie boy, every emo, every rocker, everybody, literally everybody had this song and its catchy lyrics stuck in their head while at work, while driving, in the shower and everyone was singing it. Many references were made by comedians such as ’Michael Mcintyre’, it was featured on many hit shows such as hollyoaks. NME praised the song as "easily the best 80s power ballad of 2008."

==Memories while I have ‘been roaming around‘==

I remember taking drives constantly listening to this song on repeat whilst on holiday. Such a sentimental song couldn’t have come at a better time. I had just broken up with my girlfriend (*cries*) and I was feeling sad and could have ‘used somebody.’ But for some reason this song didn’t make me feel sad or sorry for myself it gave me hope and lifted my spirit. I remember shortly after my break-up their were hopes of new prospects. After being my first date with this girl I was driving her home and Use Somebody starting playing on the radio. It was fate. I thought to myself now or never and I kissed her and the best feeling was she started kissing me back the exact moment Caleb says ‘I hope it’s gonna make you notice…someone like me.’ I couldn’t remember a happier memory of this song. Then I started listening to my old favourite while I retired Use Somebody …’She Will Be Loved.’

==Painted faces fill the places I can‘t reach==

The lyrics of this song are very complicated and hard to understand. But basically the song is one I can relate to. Perhaps one night stands and ladies of the night were not enough for the song writer. He sees all the ‘painted faces’ and people in good relationships a place where he cant reach. But then all of a sudden he meets a woman who makes him want to chill out and try the girlfriend thing. I mean meaningless one night stands are nothing compared to a meaningful relationship you have with a girl. ‘Looking down and all I see’…he’s sad to see all the relationships and it has a despressing effect on him. ‘Notice someone like me’…I mean this is self explanatory when he actually meets someone he likes he wants them to notice him for who he is inside. Perhaps im dwelling too much into this song’s meaning but im pretty sure Caleb did have his share of groupies.

==You know that I could use this CD?==

If you haven’t heard this song you were buried underground in 2009. It is an absolutely beautiful song which makes you smile and sing along when you listen to it. You should buy this CD because it is already a classic and a ballad adored by many. No wonder it won Song of the Year in 2009. If you haven’t heard it it’s a must. It’s one of those songs which will be stuck in your head and you will keep singing it involuntarily.

• KayKey published 02/08/2011
    I enjoyed the review. I first noticed Kings of Leon when an ex gave me their Because of the Times album... Can't believe it's been 4 years ago!!! Anyway, I don't think Use Somebody could ever be overplayed. ;-)
  • Bollinger28 published 16/09/2010
    I love this song (and the entire album it's from) :o)
  • tallulahbang published 06/09/2010
    I used to quite like them, and then I went right off them after hearing their recent album. xx