Review of "Vacuum Storage Bags"

published 30/10/2009 | pennywa
Member since : 30/06/2007
Pro Gives you loads of extra space, clear so you can see the contents inside
Cons None at all
Performance
User's Manual
Cleaning & Maintenance

"What a Sucker!!"

We are in the process of going through our annual ‘spring clean’ thing in our house. Yes, I know it’s almost November, and a bit late in the day but mum’s been really poorly these past few months and dad said he’ll give the upstairs a fresh lick of paint (and sort out all his DIY projects he’s been putting off for the past few years) to try to cheer her up and get ready for Christmas.

My brother and me have both been helping dad to clear out all of the wardrobes and bedroom cupboards and drawers and sort out what we want to keep and what we are going to give to charity. It became apparent very early on that we had way too much stuff and that we haven’t been very good at storing it all. For example, in the spare room we have a double wardrobe and a huge chest of drawers which are used just for storing ‘old’ clothes which never seem to see the light of day. We also have no space under our beds as we have ‘seasonal’ quilts, i.e. heavy weight ones for winter and lightweight ones for summer. These were using up an enormous amount of space which could be much better used for other things.

For once in his life it was my brother who had the brain wave when he suggested some vacuum storage bags. He said he’d seen them advertised on the shopping channel. We had no time to wait for a delivery though so we decided to go out to the shops to see if we could find some. We have a (very small) branch of Lakeland Plastics near to where we live. So, we drove out to see if they sold any. They did – but we underestimated the cost. Lakeland were selling them for £14.99 for a measly two bags. We reckoned we’d need about four times this amount and we simply didn’t have enough money between us to meet the cost.

There’s a lady who lives a few doors up from us who runs the Bettaware Catalogue and I thought that maybe we could order some that way but once again we decided against that due to time constraints. On the way home from the Lakeland shop we have to drive past our local Wilkinson’s. In my view, Wilkinson’s are always good for a bargain so we stopped off and had a gander. Sure enough, they were selling three bags for a mere £4.99. The pack of three bags contained one large vacuum bag (55 x 85cm) and two jumbo bags (60 x 105cm). We bought three packs in total, giving us nine bags.

These wonderful bags do everything they claim to do. My brother, dad and me managed to stuff a total of ten woolly tops into the large bag, 5 jackets into the second large bag and 4 coats into the next one. I have tons and tons of soft toys all over my room which I have always been unwilling to throw away, but I managed to stuff the whole lot of the into the jumbo bag, plus my single summer time duvet. The best bit about all of this is when you get to suck the air out of the bags. I was finding it hard to believe that we’d be able to shrink the contents to less than half the size the manufacturer claims you can. However, I have to say it’s true, the shrinkage is just amazing.

With these particular bags, there is a seal (a bit like the seal you get on ready grated cheese in the supermarkets) running right down the side of the bag. You simply open the seal, pop in your stuff, close the seal, and then (the best bit) … after you get your brother to go lug the Hoover up the stairs for you, you simply put the Hoover nozzle into the disc on the middle of the bag and suck every last drop of air out!! I didn’t want to switch the Hoover off as we watched in amazement as everything just shrunk before our eyes. It was so tempting just to stand there and keep on sucking!!

The plastic seems very heavy and durable and not at all prone to being easily ripped or damaged. As it’s airtight, it also claims to be waterproof, dirt proof and doesn’t allow any nasty smells to get in. You don’t just have to store your clothing or bedding in them either. We ended up stuffing in a pile of old CD’s shoes, books and lots of dad’s computer stuff he doesn’t use much but didn’t want to throw away. Once we’d used up all other bags, we put some stuff into the attic but left the rest out and it stacked very neatly and tidily back into the original cupboards BUT left us with a LOAD of room which we never had before.

My wardrobe looks almost bare now and I think it’s the perfect excuse to go out and buy myself a whole load of new clobber!! Highly recommended.

• GillyMN published 13/12/2010
    Sounds good but how does it seal once you remove the hoover nozzle?
  • Gooseydyoo published 13/11/2010
    Well reviewed I really must get me some of these. I'm running low in space.
  • MrBrightside1987 published 16/10/2010