Valentine's Day: Do you love it or hate it?

Valentine's Day: Do you love it or hate it?

Review of "Valentine's Day: Do you love it or hate it?"

published 05/02/2017 | NBCMad92
Member since : 23/11/2015
Not going to be on for a while. Please forgive me.
Good
Pro Yay Love
Cons Boo Love

"Love Me Or Hate Me It's Still An Obsession"

Ahhhhhhh here we go again. Valentine's Day. The one day of the year where all the couples have to rush around finding presents for their partners to show how much they love them and become consumed with fear that their present will not be well received and all the singles can sit in their bedrooms, depressed, eating ice cream, watching sad movies wishing that they had a significant other to do something with.

My question is why do we do this to ourselves?

We just finished Christmas! The most expensive time of the year, then we have to worry about New Years Day, after that it's the panic of getting the kids stuff for school or getting your bits ready for going back to work, then before you've had the time to cry over the loss in your bank account your surrounded by "don't forget it's Valentine's Day, buy this £300 watch to go with the £500 laptop you just bought your girlfriend a month ago".

I think there is so much of a panic about Valentine's Day but I do understand why. It's the time that is significant to showing your partner how much you love them and because it has become such a worldwide day, you don't want to be known as the person who didn't care. As well, let's not beat around the bush, it's always nice to do something for Valentine's Day (I'll call it VDay from now on).

I am single. I'll admit, sometimes when I hear people banging on about their partners, or the things they do with their partners, it does get me a bit down. I'd like to receive "good morning beautiful" messages, or get an "I love you", or get taken out and dined like the queen I am and I'd like to be able to take a man out and treat him, take care of him when he comes home from work, cook him dinner, buy him things I think he'd like (I guess I'm considered an old fashioned girl/feminist girl myself, if my man is going to treat me like a queen then he deserves to be treated like a king).

Saying all that, to be honest, I have never been one to go mad about VDay. I am one of those people who believe that you don't need to spend hundreds of pounds on me to prove to me that you love me as well, you shouldn't need one day to show me that. You should show me every single day we are together.

When I was with my ex, it was coming up to VDay and he asked me what I wanted to do. I said that Christmas has just been so I know money is tight right now. What I wanted to do was order a pizza, get some munchies, cuddle up under the duvet and watch horror films all night. That was my idea of the perfect VDay, which we did and it was lovely. He kept asking me if I wanted anything and I said the only thing I could think of was Tom Hardy or a locket so I could put our picture in but just doing a duvet day was all that I wanted. VDay came around, I went round his house and bless him, I knew he didn't have a lot of money but he bought me a little locket from Avon that I put our picture in. I thought that was lovely because it was exactly what I wanted. I didn't care about how much it cost or where it came from, it was the fact that he looked for something that he knew I wanted and got it for me and spent the day doing something that I wanted to do. To me that is love. Unfortunately we broke up, which was sad because he was a kind person but it was one of those situations where we did just fall out of love with each other and we were both leading two separate lives.

He did find it strange that I wasn't one of those people who needed to do expensive extravagant things for VDay but to me it is only a day. It's nice when you get appreciated on that day and don't get me wrong if someone wants to spend thousands on me then buy all means, I love Nightmare Before Christmas but to me, money doesn't come into it when your doing something you love with the person you love.

I think it is not a case of whether I love or hate VDay. It's the madness that comes with the day and when it is thrown in front of your face all the time. It's like single people are made to feel bad about the fact that they haven't got anyone.

Do you want to know what I am doing this year? What I do every other Tuesday. Work and pole dancing. As pole is on a Tuesday this year we are doing a VDay inspired pole class which is going to be very fun.

When my granddad was still alive, after my nanny pass away, he would get sad on VDay and tell me how much he missed my nan. So, every VDay, I would get him a card and visit him. One year I even cooked him dinner. This year I will be getting my daddy a card and may be a little something as that man is my significant other. He is my king and he treats me like his queen. He tells me I'm beautiful everyday and that he loves me. He doesn't need a day to tell me this and I don't need a day to tell him that but it's just nice to appreciate each other.

I'd like to think that most people can get to a point where they don't feel like half a person because the don't have a partner because there are partners all around us. Our families, our friends, our children. If you have a partner then that's great, nothing wrong with that but people shouldn't feel like they are defined by their relationship status.

My friends and I buy each other cards every year because we love each other and again they are significant others to me. They have been there for me most my life and seen me at my best points and worst points of life. My friend and I had a pact when Fifty Shades of Grey first came out that whether we were in a relationship or not we would go and watch it together. When it first came out this is what we did. We was going to do the same thing this year for Fifty Shades Darker but as my show is on that week we are going to be celebrating VDay early this year. Guess what? When Fifty Shades Free comes out we will be doing the same thing again.

To round this off, I am neither for or against VDay. Everyone is different and if you can find someone who is on the same wave length as you for VDay then I truly hope that you have a great day and are always happy together.

For all you singletons, please don't be sad this year. Go out with your friends, chill with your family, do something, show someone that isn't a girlfriend or boyfriend that you love them. I bet that they will absolutely love it if you do.

• aclevername published 12/02/2017
    A great read Xx
  • euphie published 11/02/2017
    vh :o)
  • BrutalHonesty91 published 09/02/2017
    An interesting piece

Product Information : Valentine's Day: Do you love it or hate it?

Listed on Ciao since: 01/02/2017