Vampire Academy (DVD)

Vampire Academy (DVD)

Review of "Vampire Academy (DVD)"

published 13/06/2017 | kiss_me2070
Member since : 11/02/2004
A huge thanks for all the reads, rates and comments. It's much appreciated :)
Satisfactory
Pro acting isn't all terrible
Cons hard to follow, storyline didn't make sense at times, not great acting, boring, wasn't funny
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"I Found This Hard to Follow and Pretty Boring!!"

Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy

= = = = = = =
About the Film
= = = = = = =
Vampire Academy (also known as Vampire Academy: Blood Sisters) is a 2014 American fantasy comedy film based on Richelle Mead's 2007 best-selling novel of the same name, directed by Mark Waters, and scripted by Daniel Waters. The film stars Zoey Deutch, Danila Kozlovsky, Lucy Fry, and Dominic Sherwood in lead roles. It was released in North America on February 7, 2014 and globally between March and July of the same year. I have to be honest this isn’t really my kind of film; how-ever my boyfriend saw it on Netflix one weekend and decided that he wanted to watch it so I didn’t have a lot of choice really but to watch it with him.

Main Cast
• Olga Kurylenko as Headmistress Ellen Kirova

= = = =
The Film
= = = =
The film starts off with us seeing a car crash, and then Rose wakes up in bed. She knocks on the wall next to her and wakes Lissa up. They were both in a car crash which was two years ago and it was two years ago that they ran away from the St. Vladimir's Academy. Just three minutes into the film we see that Lissa needs to feed, so Rose lets her take a bite from her shoulder to get some blood. There is a little blood but not a great deal. From early on in the film, it’s obvious that the two girls are running away from someone who has been sent to take the girls back to the academy they have run away from. They are soon dragged back to the Academy in Montana by their Russian mentor. With not having even got 10 minutes into the film there is a fight scene which is quite violent as people get stabbed and bitten. During the beginning of the film Rose tells us about the different types of vampires.

During the film, we see a couple of different flashbacks from Rose from when her and Lissa were at the academy before. We get to meet some of the other people at the academy, some of which are nasty people and others which aren’t so bad. Twenty minutes into the film and it’s fair to say that some of the acting isn’t great, but at the same time I don’t think it’s the worst acting either. Some of the actors are clearly better at acting than others. I have to admit that 20mins into the film I was getting a little confused as to what was going on as it just kept flicking from one scene to another all the time so I was finding it slightly difficult to keep up with all the characters and what was happening. One of the characters (Mason) comes across as though he likes Rose and they seem to get on with each other very well. Rose; how-ever just sees him as a friend and likes Mason; although Mason already has a girlfriend.

Mia isn’t a very nice person in the film and she comes across as quite mean and she also acts as though she’s something special and better than anyone else. Mia is always making comments and picking on Rose and Lissa. Mysterious threatening messages to Lissa start to appear in the academy and they are messages written in blood. About half way into the film you can tell that Rose is starting to form an attraction to her Russian mentor (Dimitri). Before Rose and Lissa left the academy, there was a teacher there called Ms. Karp; how-ever she apparently retired, although Rose isn’t convinced by this especially when she finds a disc with recordings from Ms. Karp on it. Rose suspects that something else happened to Ms. Karp and that everyone is lying to her about what really happened to her whilst Rose and Lissa were away from the academy.

During the rest of the film we see Rose accuse Mia of killing their cat and also writing the bloody messages that have been appearing. Lissa is kidnapped by the Moroi and they want to use her as a cure for someone who has contracted a disease. There is another action scene as Rose and Dimitri try to rescue Lissa. There are some more action scenes towards the end of the film, which of course means blood. There is also a twist to the end of the film as well. To be honest I wasn’t really sure how the film was going to end, probably due to the fact that I found it difficult to keep up with the storyline.

= = = = = = = =
Overall Opinion
= = = = = = = =
I personally didn’t think very much of the film and my boyfriend didn’t either. I found the storyline quite hard to follow and a little confusing at times, especially because the film would just keep flicking to different scenes every couple of minutes. The actors in the film play their parts well although some of the acting is a lot better than others. If I had started watching this on my own then I think I would have ended up turning it off before the film ended, but because my boyfriend wanted to watch it, that’s the only reason why I did watch the film right up until the end. There is some action in the film although the majority of this is in the first 10mins of the film and the last 20mins of the film. I did find the storyline to the film quite weak as I personally though it was a bit all over the place and there are some things that just didn’t seem to fit into place. The film ended as though they are going to make a sequel to the film; how-ever when looking this up a sequel is definitely not on the cards for this film, due to the lack of fan support. I personally wouldn’t bother watching this film. The storyline is rubbish, the film is confusing and it’s just not a very good film. Although if you are struggling to get to sleep then simply put this film on and no doubt you will fall asleep to it as it was that boring!

Reception
= = = = =
• On Rotten Tomatoes the film holds a rating of 12% based on 49 reviews, with an average rating of 3.2 out of 10.
• On Metacritic, the film has a score of 30 out of 100, based on 14 critics, indicating ‘generally unfavorable reviews’ from critics.
• On IMDB the film is rated 5.6/10 based on 44,283 user ratings.

= = = = = = = = =
Other Information
= = = = = = = = =
Director: Mark Waters
Certificate: 12A
Genre: Action, Comedy, Fantasy
Release Date: 4th July 2014 (UK)
Running Time: 1h 44mins

• jb0077 published 05/07/2017
    VH
  • CGholy published 26/06/2017
    I think I had the book on this.
  • Mistybrook published 22/06/2017
    vh.

offers "Vampire Academy (DVD)"