Van Doren Clarinet Reeds

Van Doren Clarinet Reeds

Clairnet - Clarinet Reed

Review of "Van Doren Clarinet Reeds"

published 20/05/2007 | tomt89
Member since : 20/05/2007
Pro Exceptional tone quality.
Cons Can be hard to blow initially.
How easy is it to find?

"Vandoren for Optimum Tone Quality"

I have been using Vandoren reeds for the past seven years, since I changed clarinet teachers. My first teacher had started me on Rico reeds, and having no experience of clarinet playing did not know that better reeds were available.

Since using Vandorens I have managed to improve my tone quality tremendously. I am sitting my grade 8 exam in a few months, most definitely using a Vandoren V12 reed (strenght 3).

As with all reed brands, Vandorens come in several strengths (from one to five). I have found that, even increasing strength by only half a unit at a time, changing strength can be a challenging time leading to sore lips and throats. I have also found that the strength and quality of individual reeds vary greatly. One reed may be easy to blow, or even over blow easily, while the next reed in the pack will take a week or too to wear in.

I personally use the V12 variety of reeds offered by Vandoren and have started to use the Vandoren Optimum ligature to improve my staccato playing.

Vandoren reeds are available from most music shops and www.dawkes.co.uk also supply them in various pack sizes. Obviously the cost increases with pack size, but Dawkes are selling a pack of 10 V12 reeds for £11.66 (for all strengths).

• bluejules published 21/05/2007