Vanquis Credit Card

Vanquis Credit Card

Review of "Vanquis Credit Card"

published 17/07/2010 | cntl
Member since : 17/07/2010
Pro Accessibly to most
Cons Not good for people in financial need desperate for credit
Competitiveness of APR
Product package
Quality of Customer Service
Reward Scheme
Additional Charges

"Run your account well and you will never have a problem"

I applied for Vanquis card after I was discharged from bankruptcy, primarily for the purpose of rebuilding my credit rating. I have have been using this card for 3 years now. I do all the purchasing solely with this card and use it instead of a debit card.

I think there is a lot of unfair criticism of Vanquis card. This card is no more expensive than the best prime cards on the market, if you do what is right, that is pay off the balance in full each month (in fact, it costs you virtually nothing). I think the high initial interest IS justified, as most of the lenders are high risk. I certainly was not offended by my 40% initial interest, after all I was just discharged from bankruptcy when I got the card, so thank you for the trust in me, Vanquis.

Vanquis has been lowering my interest, which is now at 34%-equal to Capital One starter card which people like me have no chance of getting till the bankruptcy drop off the record 5 years after discharge. My available balance is £2500. I think the interest rate is more than fair, considering the bankruptcy will not drop off my credit files till July 2012.

Customer service is UK based and excellent, no long waiting times to get the phone answered and they are always very helpful and polite.

This is the only card I have had no problems with when going on holidays to places like China or Canada. My wife's prime credit and debit cards were all blocked overseas, in spite of both of us calling our respective card providers in advance to tell them of our holiday schedule--pathetic (LLoyds, Santander).

I have had no problems with Vanquis, the card is virtually free (as, obviously, I pay off balances in full). I am on good salary and do not need credit per se, but I prefer using credit cards to debit cards because it has a positive impact on credit files (if you run your account well), gives extra protection on purchases and is generally free, even with Vanquis, if you pay off your balances in full (as you should!) and is much more convenient--just my opinion.

I highly recommend Vanquis if you have genuinely learned your lesson in life, are on good income, have no debts, are not desperate for credit but want to rebuild your life.

Product Information : Vanquis Credit Card