Review of "Vaseline Lip Therapy Rosy Lips"

published 14/10/2011 | Spottydog11
Absorbency
Gloss?
Frequency of Reapplication

"Rosy Lips"

One of my favourite beauty products, or probably a better way of putting it, one of the beauty products I cannot live without would be the line of Vaseline lip therapy products. I am a really big fan of all the different varities they do, aloe vera, sun protection and the regular variety so imagine how excited I was when I found that they have now added another variety to their product range, Rosy Lips. I saw a picture of it in a magazine so was very excited to try it. I have only found the range available to buy in Boots so this is where I bought this new variety. As it is new I did find it quite hard to locate one of them but I found it in a bigger Boots in London so maybe for a while it might not be in the smaller Boots stores. The original one costs 96 pence I think but this one was slightly more expensive at £1.49 but still an amazing bargain I think.

To firstly explain what they are, Vaseline lip therapy can basically be described as a small tub/tin of Petroleum jelly. Petroleum jelly was produced in the US in the latter part of the 1800's by a gentleman called Robert Chesebrough. He then coined the name Vaseline. Ever since its invention petroleum jelly has been known and promoted for its healing properties.

Scientifically, petroleum jelly can be described as a soft paraffin, semi solid mixture made of hydrocarbons. According to the internet it was discovered in "Titusville, Pennsylvania, United States, on some of the country's first oil rigs. Workers disliked the paraffin-like material forming on rigs because it caused them to malfunction, but they used it on cuts and burns because it hastened healing."

For an easier to understand description, I would describe it as a wax like substance although it is not as sticky as a wax. It is a solid but can be broken down quite easily when rubbed onto the skin and often melts in hot weather.

The thing I like about the tin of Vaseline is that it is pocket size and very handy to slip in your bag. The tin is 20g and measures about 5cm in diameter and 1.5cm deep. It is made by Unilever in Norway. The tin has a circular lid that is sometimes hard to get on but good because it stays on and if the jelly does get hot and melts a little the nice thing is none escapes because the lid is on so tightly.

Like I said Boots sell a number of different varities. I do tend to use the original one most of the time because I think it works better when I am going to sleep so it can work overnight or first get up in the morning for a bit of moisture on my lips but now the Rosy Lips variety has turned into my favourite one to use during the day. I use it most during the day because it actually has a slight coral-rose tinted colour to it so when you apply it, it turns your lips only the slightest bit pinky red which is nice. It is a very subtle colour but just enough to give your face a bit of warmth without putting on traditional lipstick. It almost makes your lips look sun kissed or lip you have bitten your lip slightly to give them a bit of colour, a very natural look but effective. You can actually tell that it is going to have some colour to it because the Vaseline in the tin is a lovely reddy/pink colour.

The Rosy Lips contains rose and almond oil and as such has a very slight fruity/rose smell to it. You can smell it when it goes on but after a while there is no lingering smell which is nice. It doesn't smell like Vaseline either or taste like Vaseline so it's nice to have on your lips.

I find it best to apply with you finger tips. When you rub your finger over the tin the Vaseline tends to soften a bit making it easy to glide onto your lips. Once on it gives your lips a moisturised, slippy feeling without being sticky. I find that the moisture does last all day although if you want to feel like you have a bit of the product on your lips you do need to re-apply a bit.

Unlike the other versions which can be used for other ailments, such as chapped hands, a make up remover, dry skin etc, I would not recommend for all over use because of the rose tint but for your lips it is great.

A great product I definitely recommend!

• Novabug published 16/10/2011
    I do like the original one. :)
  • LadyValkyrie published 15/10/2011
    Love this one. Nice review.
  • eve6kicksass published 15/10/2011
    Nice job! x

offers "Vaseline Lip Therapy Rosy Lips"