Review of "Vaseline Lip Therapy Rosy Lips"

published 09/03/2012 | gothic_moon
Member since : 23/09/2005
www.invisiblyme.com // facebook.com/invisiblymeblog
Pro Soft and delicate, leaves rosy tint & healthy looking lips, handy tin
Cons Not as moisturising as I had hoped
Absorbency
Gloss?
Frequency of Reapplication

"Pretty In Pink"

When it comes to lip care, Vaseline is something I can't seem to live without. I always carry a little tin of it with me everywhere and although I do like the Rosy Lips version, I'm still an Aloe girl at heart.

The Unilever brand took over Vaseline in 1987, and since then it seems to have continued to grow in popularity, being a very recognisable name. Vaseline, as a brand name in the UK, now produces various products including their line for lip care, which are all made in Norway. I'm a huge fan of Vaseline for my lips, and would to an extent consider myself addicted to the stuff (which my boyfriend tells me at least).

Rosy Lips is a slightly newer (but not the newest since the release of their Cocoa Butter one) version of their lip care. It's a good alternative to the Original tins for those who want something a little different whilst retaining the quality and benefits of petroleum jelly. This comes in the usual 20g tin and is described as 'Lip therapy with rose and almond oil' which 'gently tints and cares for lips'.

I love the design of the tins because they're small but contain enough Vaseline to last you what seems like a lifetime. They're handy to keep in your pocket or bag, and the lid is (usually) easy to remove and safely click back down without it popping off in your bag. It's a pinky colour so it stands out from the others, reflecting the name of 'Rosy Lips'.

What's different about it? The tint it provides, the smell and taste, and also the consistency. I find that this does add a slight shine to my lips that's a very faint pink. It does make my lips look healthy, but I wouldn't say there's much colour from this, only quite literally a 'tint' or hint of it. The smell and taste, when you lick your lips, is sweet but pleasant enough. Some people dislike flavoured lip balms or certain lipsticks because of the taste, but I find it to be fairly inoffensive.

As for the moisturisation it provides, I found this quite surprising having got so used to the Original and Aloe versions. I thought that the consistency of this was much harder, so it was less gooey putting it on your lips but it also seemed to mean that it provided less hydration. It was only a small amount that came off after rubbing my finger in the tin and putting it on to my lips made it feel like I hadn't used much at all. Personally, I'd prefer a slightly less hard consistency like the Aloe one because it's easier to apply and seems to last a little longer, whilst also giving your lips more of a shine.

All in all, this is a pretty lip treat that's handy to carry around, whilst looking and smelling pretty. Whilst it still nourishes lips and leaves a small tint of colour, it didn't have the sort of moisturising benefits I was hoping for. I would probably recommend for those who like regular lip balms (such as those on a stick), or if you're looking for something pretty pink and a tad different. For me, however, it's a bit of a novelty that unfortunately loses to my Aloe tin, especially when it's a bit more expensive.

Overall... I'm still an aloe girl at heart, but this makes a nice change for a rosy glow.

RRP £2.25 (Boots)
[Also reviewed by me, cazkins, on DooYoo]

• daisyleex published 09/03/2012
    I love this x

offers "Vaseline Lip Therapy Rosy Lips"