Vaseline Lip Therapy with Aloe Vera

Vaseline Lip Therapy with Aloe Vera

Lip Make-up - Lip Care

Review of "Vaseline Lip Therapy with Aloe Vera"

published 14/03/2007 | MAFARRIMOND
Member since : 07/12/2002
Kites rise highest against the wind - not with it.. (Winston Churchill)
Pro Soothing and healing qualities. Great value for money.
Cons Use too much and it will congeal. Can stain clothing.
Absorbency
Gloss?
Frequency of Reapplication

"Lip Service"

Cold dry weather, wind, air conditioning, central heating - they can all contribute to the chapping of lips. And there's one thing for sure with the British weather as it is, we experience all these in abundance.

Like many others, I do suffer with chapped lips. Chapped lips can involve dryness, redness, cracking and tenderness - not a pretty sight!! So what do I do? What else but reach for the lip balm of course?

Is lip balm addictive? I don't know - but there is web site dedicated to answering that question: Lip Balm anonymous. I do know that I become very self-conscious about my lips when they are chapped and do feel the need to apply balm and to re-apply through the day.

There are so many products available. Looking through the varied selection in the supermarket (tubes, sticks, tins all brightly coloured), a little tin caught my attention. Vaseline Lip Therapy Aloe Vera comes in an eye-catching green and white little tin clearly labelled.

The 20g tin is a perfect handbag or pocket size - about 2cm high and 5cm in diameter. The tin is secure - no mistakenly squeezed tubes or missed tops to sticks. (I have had mine for a few months now and the lid is still secure!).

Apart from the packaging (Yes I know I am a sucker for good packaging), the Vaseline brand name was a big factor in my purchasing decision. Vaseline of Petroleum Jelly, originally produced by Chesebrough-Ponds and purchased by Unilever in 1987, is a well-known and trusted brand name.

Vaseline actually has no medicinal effect in itself and it is not actually absorbed by the skin. It's effectiveness stems from its barrier against the elements - it inhibits germs from getting into the cracks or sores and prevents the skin's moisture from evaporating.. The Aloe Vera however is bursting with healthy nutrients - it s a member of the cactus variant of the Lily family and is known to sooth dry skin and promotes cell growth and repair.

The ingredients are listed on the bottom of tin - neatly displayed circled around the base. There is of course mostly Petroleum and aloe. I won't list all the ingredients here - if you would like information go to http://www.unilever.com/PIOTI/EN/p4.asp?selectCountry=UK&language=EN&produc tid=1976699 which has the full list. Among the fragrances are Citral and Limonene - hence the lemon taste and smell (see below).

The price varies from store to store but it generally retails for about 99p! Fantastic value! Especially since it lasts so well (mine is a few months old and still hardly dinted).

So those are the reasons why I bought Vaseline Lip Therapy Aloe Vera. More importantly though - does it work?

When you lift off the lid - a little tricky as it is very secure - you will find the tin filled to its brim with a translucent appley-green gel-like substance. Running your finger over the shiny smooth surface is a little like being the first footprints in newly fallen snow or being the first to break the foil on a new jar of coffee, there is a strange sense of satisfaction.

How do you describe the aroma? It is not very strong - there is a hint of lemon. It is quite a pleasant not at all overpowering or lingering.

Be sure to use only a little! Remember that it does not get absorbed by the skin. Too much and it will lie there on top of your lips and congeal into unsightly blobs in the corners of your mouth - yuk! It doesn't produce that glamorous look you would get from a lip gloss but it does give a smoother silky look.

As to be expected from a Vaseline product, it is very easy to apply - just glides on smoothly and easily. But now there's a slight problem - Vaseline doesn't absorb into your finger either! So there you are left with a greasy finger tip! And Vaseline can stain clothing - so don't be tempted to wipe on your clothes. Have another tip - carry some tissues or wipes around with you!
Flavour wise - again there is citrus-like taste slightly sweet - nothing overpowering and doesn't spoil the taste of anything you eat or drink afterwards.

The effect does make your lips feel softer and less sore immediately - and the effect does last for hours. I won't say you don't need to reapply because you do!

So, would I recommend it?

A definite, Yes! It really does help to prevent dry chapped lips. And if you already do have dry chapped lips, it does have an incredible soothing effect and accelerates the healing process! And for just 99p, it is fantastic value for money.

So what do I have in my handbag - a little tin of Vaseline Lip Therapy Aloe Vera? Oh Sorry - that's another review!

• lozzy_lou178 published 12/11/2007
    Great review. I love this stuff! Have always got it with me - a real lifesaver. But you are right about it not absorbing and left with a greasy finger, I have to moisturise it into my knuckles! x
  • EllieHarris04 published 30/10/2007
    I used this on my tattoo when i just had it done, works great!! smells funny though, good review xx
  • LadyBev published 09/06/2007
    I use the yellow tin with sun protection, they are a great purchase and handbag size means you can take it everywhere. great review. Bev

offers "Vaseline Lip Therapy with Aloe Vera"