Review of "Vaseline Petroleum Jelly"

published 20/03/2009 | Sarahjh1
Member since : 02/11/2008
Pro An effective way of keeping your skin soft on a budget
Cons None
How easily is it absorbed?

"Versatile Vaseline"

It was way back in the mid 1800`s when a chemist called Robert Chesebrough made a unique discovery. A 100% natural product, rich in pure minerals and found from deep within the earth. When the natural product was rubbed onto burns, cuts or grazes it appeared to have healing powers.
Robert Chesebrough called his new discovery Vaseline and now a pot of this versatile jelly is a must have for most family medicine cabinets.

Vaseline is a blend of mineral oils, microcrystalline waxes and paraffin, the jelly stays firm until it reaches a temperature just slightly above body heat and then it starts to melt. The petroleum jelly then penetrates the skin and once it has settled into place filling gaps in our lipid barrier and areas in between our skin cells it then sets and bonds itself into position.
Once you have applied Vaseline to your skin it protects it thoroughly in all winds and weather and keeps the moisture that is already in our skin locked safely in place.

Vaseline is now a Unilever product, it has been on the market for over 130 years and is probably among one of the most versatile skin care products around.
I have just read some very interesting facts that are news to me, our skin loses 200ml of water everyday as evaporation takes place, our skin completely renews itself every 28 days, 16% of our total body weight is skin and the most sensitive skin on our body is to be found on our fingertips.

When I was young I used to have greasy skin, as I got older the greasy skin was replaced by dry skin.
Dry skin is irritating, it can be itchy and sore. If like me you have dry skin on your face then it is frustrating because any foundation make up you wear sticks in the patches of dry skin and it looks messy.
A thin layer of Vaseline is a great help when it comes to combatting the problems that dry skin can cause.

Vaseline has no real smell and the jelly is translucent. As well as acting as a barrier against germs on cuts, burns and grazes many people with skin irritations and ezcema use it on a regular basis. There are reports that psoriasis responds well to Vaseline, the jelly lubricates the itchy skin patches and soothes the inflammation.
In the winter months I am sure there are many of us that suffer from chapped lips, if they arent looked after they get sore and unsightly. A thin layer of vaseline protects our lips well in the cold weather.
If you suffer from rough skin on your feet then get yourself a pot of Vaseline, an affordable way of treating hard rough skin. The best time to apply it is when you get out of the shower and your skin is soft and clean.
My daughter often uses a dab of Vaseline on her eyelashes, she has long dark lashes and the glossy jelly adds lustre to them.

On a different note altogether a drop of vaseline on a soft clean cloth works wonders on leather shoes. The jelly nourishes and rejuvenates both leather and patent leather.

A 50g pot of Vaseline pure petroleum jelly is just 87p in Tesco. The pot last ages, a tiny amount goes a v ery long way.
When you compare Vaseline to some of the other creams used to treat dry skin it just has to be worth giving it a go, I find it invaluable.

Summary: Vaseline the ideal way forward for soft skin.

• arnoldhenryrufus published 23/03/2009
    always good to keep some of this in the cupboard - lyn x
  • treesaregreenandtall published 21/03/2009
    Vaseline is THE no1 beauty product in my opinion- you can use it for anything!
  • catsholiday published 21/03/2009
    Good tip about the shoes - hadn't thought of that - a bit like Dubbin for horses tack! Sue