Vaseline Petroleum Jelly

Vaseline Petroleum Jelly

Review of "Vaseline Petroleum Jelly"

published 10/04/2014 | rolandrat123
Member since : 23/03/2012
Pro Cheap and versatile for your face, hands ro household chores
Cons None
How easily is it absorbed?

"An old well known product that most people have used at some time"

The Brand

Vaseline dates back to 1859 when it was discovered as a by-product of the oil industry and by 1870 this petroleum jelly as being sold as 'Vaseline'.
Vaseline was used during World War 1 and 2 for cuts and burns.
In the 1950s Chesebrough merged with Ponds. In the 80s the firm was purchased by Unilever. The name 'Vaseline' is believed to come from 'Wasser' meaning water and 'elaion' meaning oil - as well as the ending of 'ine' being added.

===The Product===
Mine was the old style container.
Oblong squarish clear plastic tub with a pull off white lid. Has a blue label on the front and lid. 50 grams. 'An emollient for topical application for chapped skin and lips, minor burns: helps prevent nappy rash.' 100% white petroleum jelly BP.
Vaseline is the proprietary name of petroleum jelly. 100% pure and which has gone through a triple purification process.
Cost

50ml is £1.50 at Tesco.
100ml is £1.98 at Tesco.
My Opinion

This is an old traditional product that everyone recognises.
We currently have two of these old style tubs at home - one is mine for beauty treatments and another older one is in husband's tool box.
The current Vaseline on sale is in updated curved pots.
I use mine for massaging into my cuticles and also as a sliver on my lips - often over lipstick to give it a bit of a sheen.
Vaseline was recommended by Jennifer Aniston to use as an inexpensive under eye cream at night. I have not tried this as there are varying reports on the internet regarding using Vaseline on your face - some swear by it while others say it clogs your pores and should be avoided - so I have not bothered using it myself as a product for my face.
However I have used it on my hands and feet if I have nothing else and have had no problems.
It can also be used to give a waterproof covering for slight cuts and scratches.
It is mentioned that it can be used on minor burns but personally I prefer to leave them without anything on top.
My husband's tub of Vaseline comes in for many weird and wonderful uses.
Currently he has been using it around the top of his home brew barrels to make a good seal with the screw top lid.
Previously we have used it to make tightening up connections in our toilet system - evidently this little tub has to be in every man's toolbox for those odd little jobs.
It is also a good lubricant if you run out of the more expensive WD40 as it can work on hinges etc and will also protect them from rust.
My husband is not very fastidious about his garden tools but I know of some men who clean their garden tools in the autumn and then coat them with Vaseline to protect them through the winter months in the garden shed.
If you want to find out many more uses just go to google and you will find literally hundreds.
Star Rating

5 stars.
Would I Recommend?

Website

www.vaseline.co.uk

• supersonic75 published 14/04/2014
    Such a handy product x
  • rolandrat123 published 12/04/2014
    Someone on Ciao did a 101 Uses review! http://www.ciao.co.uk/Vaseline_Pure_Petroleum_Jelly__Review_5706959
  • cwigham published 11/04/2014
    Surely there's one of these "101 uses for..." books about this?