Vauxhall Omega 2.6i Saloon

Vauxhall Omega 2.6i Saloon

Saloon - Petrol - Available Trims: CD, CDX, Elite, GLS

Review of "Vauxhall Omega 2.6i Saloon"

published 13/11/2000 | mcfly
Member since : 13/11/2000
Satisfactory
Pro Big, Luxurious, Silent car despite diesel engine, Very safe car, lovely to drive, a head turner
Cons Expensive to run, unreliable, expensive to repair, parts not readily available

"Omega dream shattered"

1995 Vauxhall Omega 2.5 GLS TD for sale at £9,900. I bought this car because it was by far the best car I had ever driven. The vehicle was immaculate and bought from a reputable dealer (not Vauxhall). It was like driving a house on wheels. Very comfortable, roomy, quiet on the road and a real head turner when it was washed and polished looking its Sunday Best.Then cam its downfall.

I bought the car which had 1 previous owner in July 1998. The first difficulty arose after about 6 months. The accelerator stuck at 2000 rpm as I was out driving one day. The local Vauxhall Agent balmed the problem on a micrchip which operates the acceleration of the vehicle. It was evetually established that it was a fault in the wiring which Vauxhall had to replace, at a cost to me. A member of staff from the dealership implied that the Vauxhall car and the BMW engines were not working together very well.

My next disaster was the timing chain. It fell off during the time of the timing chain scare which was highlighted by a TV consumer programme. Needless to say the engine was wrecked. I was offered a replacement to the tune of £5,500. No thanks was my reply. Clever me I went off to another dealer to purchase a second hand engine at £2,700. BIG MISTAKE. No guarantee after 6 months, the car was never right again. Various probleems arose (ALL ENGINE), that were not very expensive but on a regular basis became a nightmare financially.

My idea in writing this article is not to scare people into not buying the car, its merely to advise them that despite the beauty and confortable ride of this vehicle it is well worth getting a full check done on the car even if it means contacting the previous owner. Don't do things on the cheap all the time especially if you can't guage the quality of what you are buying like my dodgy engine.

I heard one other story from another Omega owner. He drove the same model and year of car and had similar problems. Maybe the BMW / Vauxhall theory is right. Mechanics smile and shrug their shoulders when I mention this. They give and impression that they know it was not the perfect car. It's a shame.

• MartinImber published 28/06/2004
    Bit of pain that - shouldn't GM have footed the bill? My petrol Omega is fine!
  • Alessandrovich published 19/02/2004
    Shame it didn't work out - I'm on my second Moega - admittedly both petrol with GM engines - and have loved them both...
  • mikeyh published 26/02/2003
    You've clearly had some bad luck with this car, generally other ops seem positive, I'm considering buying but it would be helpful perhaps if you let us know the year of manufacture...we could avoid possibly 'bad batch'