Veho VMS-001 USB Microscope

Veho VMS-001 USB Microscope

See everything up close with this amazing USB Microscope, up to 200x zoom and the ability to take a photo and video of the subject.

Review of "Veho VMS-001 USB Microscope"

published 18/06/2010 | blissman70
Member since : 04/09/2006
Thanks everyone for the R/R/Cs, still much appreciated....... Especially thanks for all the E's ... Looks like dooyoo has finally given up the ghost. Not even sending vouchers out now... shame
Pro Interesting results, great fun and somewhat educational
Cons some of the images my seem scary
Picture Quality
Reliability
Ease of Use

"See the world through the eyes of an ant... sort of"

When my eldest daughter came home from school with a small box, inside which was what looked like a large lipstick on a stand, it wasn’t long before she was asking me to connect this ‘lipstick’ to her laptop
So, being a good father, I agreed, (as long as she cleaned her room first), and took the ‘lipstick’ out of the box, soon discovering that it was actually a rather nice and pretty compact microscope.
Then, after a quick glance through the destruction manual, sorry, instruction manual, (or was I right first time), I plugged the microscope into her PC, using the adequately long USB cable, and away I went. Well, almost away, to be honest it did take a few goes as, for some strange reason, the PC struggled to find the drivers first time around, but, after a few slap and tickles, I soon had this trendy looking microscope up and running, much to my daughters delight, (this delight soon change when I said she could only use it when she’d finished tidying her room, with her argument being that she needed to use the microscope for a homework project, but I had to stick to my guns as her room was like a large explosion had happened in it…. But a messy bedroom is a different story and I feel I am going way off the track here).

Anyhow, whilst she was busy hiding in her room, making the odd noise so I’d think she was tidying it, I decided to give this little toy a bit of a test run, just to get the hang of it in case questions were asked, so off I went…

Firstly, as I like to get the technical bits out of the way with here they are…
  • USB powered
  • Built in LED light
  • colour image
  • CMOS image sensor
  • 200 X optical zoom with a 10mm minimum focus range
  • 1.3MP resolution lens
  • Hi-speed USB PC interface
  • Snap shot and video recording functions (AVI 1280x960)
  • Webcam capabilities with 30fps
  • 112 X 33 mm in size
  • Detachable from stand

** Minimum PC requirements are:
* MS windows 98/2000/xp and vista, MAC OS X 10.5

** My opinion…

It looks like a very chunky lipstick holder, being just over 10cm in length and 3cm in diameter, this is of course when it is detached from the stand, which in turn fits nicely onto any table top.

For my ’test drive’ I slid it off the cradle and had a bit of fun out in the garden, checking out the local wildlife that lives in my undergrowth, and what I very interesting time I had as the smallest of creatures began to look like monsters from a dodgy horror movie, such as gigantic ants, gargantuan worms and frighteningly enormous blades of grass, (this was all under the microscope of course).
I know it sounds a little childish but the things I saw were very fascinating indeed and when I played the recorded footage to my kids they were well impressed too, (although my eldest did throw a bit of a wobbler).

Apparently, according to the little leaflet that came with it in the box, it has a base zoom level of X20 plus a further manual zoom of 200X.. Which sounds impressive indeed and I guess it means that you can look at things by making them 200 times bigger than they are.
But what I do know is that you can zoom into something like a piece of material and see every little tiny cord entwining its way over each other.

Whilst you are actually taking footage of you desired object via your PC you can make adjustment for brightness, hue, sharpness and saturation, plus it has a Black and white display mode, getting you that perfect video of the miniature world.
The focus is easily adjusted via a small dial which is nicely placed on the top end of the unit, allowing easy access for the average size thumb.
The image quality is very good indeed, considering it is only a 1.3MP lens, but you can certainly make out some of the finer details giving you some fascinating images of the smaller things in the world, although in low light the image can become a little ‘grainy’.

The supplied USB connection cable is a good metre and a half long, which is adequate for most investigations, but extension cables can be bought from most PC accessory shops to allow you to take the microscope out further
Then there’s the stand, which has a couple of ball joints making it quite movable yet it is sturdy enough to hold the microscope firmly.

In all, a cracking little ‘toy’ which has many uses, some useful, such as for children’s education purpose or examining printing projects, and also some fun things like checking to see if your friend has nits or even close up of bogies up someone’s nose, (these last two are suggestions from my kids I’m afraid).
Plus, it can also be used as a webcam for online chat, which, as it is a good size, won’t stick out like a sore thumb as it sits next to your PC.

Finally, after a quick check online, I found this same item up for sale around the £30.00 region, which, for what you get, is quite a good price. Remember, it can be used as a Webcam and has a nice little 1.3MP camera.
So, if you want your kids to see the small hidden world beneath their feet then this little device will certainly help entertain and educate them.
In fact, when my eldest has to give this back I may go out and buy one just for the sake of it as it has certainly opened my mind to the things that the naked eye struggles with.

Go for it, you’ll be quite impressed with what you see through this compact microscope.

• derek-j-a published 29/10/2011
    Great review. Thanks. I have been toying wih the idea of getting one of these for a while now, and your review has convinced me and I've just ordered one.
  • jesi published 12/07/2010
    Actually, looking for nits (and the little creatures which have hatched from them) seems like a very USEFUL use for this . . . well, my eyesight isn't as it used to be . . . and my daughter sometimes wants me to search her hair or her boys' when they have a 'nit-scare' at school . . . I don't see them nearly as well as I used to . . . Well done on your Short & Good Award! . . . &#9829 jesi &#9829
  • paulpry118 published 21/06/2010