Review of "Veho VSS-747-360BT"

published 17/10/2015 | JRCarter
Member since : 29/06/2015
Two uni reports finished and submitted, only one left to go! And on another note, i'm very close to an orange dot, lets just hope Ciao lasts long enough for me to reach it!
Pro durable, good quality, low price
Cons battery power reduced over time
Sound Quality
Bass Quality
Treble Quality
Midrange Quality
Look & Design

"Great for 'inconspicuous' beach parties!"

Veho VSS-747-360BT

Veho VSS-747-360BT

Introduction

Having grown up in Dorset, just a short distance from Bournemouth, I spent a great amount of time chilling on the beach over summer. Unfortunately, yet unsurprisingly, there is nowhere on the beach to plug in a speaker. That's where this little speaker came in very useful. After a quick search of Amazon, me and my friends found this wireless Bluetooth speaker, with good ratings and at a price that was not too high, but not so low as to make us worry about the products quality. After a small amount of peer pressure, I gave in and made the purchase; within weeks it was an essential beach-going-gear. It has since proved brilliant for listening to music and a volume loud enough to travel even on the open, windy beach, while relaxing and having a beer, or playing football. It fitted and stood nicely in a shoe - to protect it from the sand etc, and never failed us once; except when it ran out of battery, which was commonly my fault for forgetting to charge it. Since I have moved to uni, it travels all over Plymouth with me. Not only is it loud enough to fill a room with music, it is great for playing music at the park, and wherever we happen to be when we want to listen to some tunes.
The Specs

- Product Dimensions: 7.6 x 5.1 x 15.2 cm ; 227 g
- Batteries: 1 600Mah Lithium ion batteries required. (included) (Rechargeable) (up to 5 hours playback)
- Sound output on the Ice White 747 is boosted by two 2.2Watt speakers
- Volume and track control are located on the speaker
- Micro SD port located on the speaker (up to 16 GB) (supports MP3 and WMV file formats)
- Bluetooth wireless V2.1 supporting Bluetooth profiles A2DP AND AVRCP for connection to all smartphones, tablets, laptops and any other Bluetooth enabled devices
+ The speaker also comes with a standard 3.5mm line in cable to use with any standard non Bluetooth device, mini USB charging cable and also a protective carry sock in white.
Sound Quality

I was pleasantly surprised by the sound quality this gadget provides, as, with so many cheaper speakers/ earphones, the quality can often be disappointing. Fortunately, the sound was impressive for such a small speaker, filling a room with loud, deep and crisp sound. Unfortunately, the sound quality does appear to lower slightly when played as loud as possible, and my phone disconnecting from the speaker has been a problem. Occasionally there will be short, half-second gaps in the music, when the Bluetooth connection is disturbed. However, this may be, and most likely is, due to my phone, which is very close to breaking in many ways.

As this speaker is so small, the bass and quality do not compare to a speaker and subwoofer, for example, but as far as little, portable, wireless speakers go; the Veho is very impressive. This gadget still functions with the exact same sound quality as it did the first time I used it. It has proved excellent for small and inconspicuous beach parties, as well as for not too wild house parties. Another beneficial addition to the sound quality of this speaker is the fact it projects sound 360 degrees around the device, meaning, if placed in the centre of the room, fills every space audibly and equally.

Considering the fact this speaker survived a summer on the beach AND my first year of university should tell you all you need to know about its durability. It has not been mistreated, like many of the products I review, and still offers the same quality as it did when first purchased. I am, however, a little suspicious of the battery power of the device, and feel it may have reduced over the two years that I( have been using it. When purchased, it stated 5 hours of usage on a full charge, but now I will be lucky to get 2-3 hours out of it.

The speaker itself has a nice weight to it and feels very solid. It has, on the odd occasion, been dropped and survived with nothing more than a scratch every time. It has also been stood on once or twice, and continued playing music perfectly. There are no aspects of its construction that feel weak or poorly-built, and the speaker gives me no reason to suspect it will break any time soon.

The Veho costs ~£25 on Amazon. Considering the overall good quality and reliability of this device, that is a very reasonable price, in my opinion. Similar products can range in price from £10 to 100's. This speaker is more durable and sturdy than similar, cheaper products that I am familiar with, but doesn't provide quite the same level of sound quality as those devices at the higher end of the price range. As far as I am concerned, this speaker is as good as it needs to be, for a very reasonable price.

• justarube published 05/10/2016