Venice (Italy)

Venice (Italy)

Review of "Venice (Italy)"

published 26/06/2017 | Enkeli01
Member since : 26/06/2017
Pro The unique atmosphere, simply this. Because it is really, really unique.
Cons Is it dirty? Well, not exactly Sardinian sea...
Sightseeing
Shopping
Nightlife
Ease of getting around

"Italian perspective: don't spoil yourself with St Mark!"

I am italian and it is already I don't remember how many months that I write for the italian version of this site so well provided with the italian "Hello". However, it is now after spending one week cruising the eastern Mediterranean that I thought maybe the best place to share my feelings about the last stop, Venice, would probably not have been the italian one, which is already plenty of such things, but rather the UK one, where I'll try to give a perspective of this beautiful but not easy to love city from a roman point of view. Probably all I wrote results boring, so I jump to my conclusion: by far, Venice is not worth visiting for what concerns St Mark square or Rialto Bridge. Because true, Venice is possibly, for me, our third most beautiful city after Rome and Naples (not Florence, and another fighter for the third position could possibly be Siena or Siracusa, but certainly not the nice, interesting but not absolutely special Florence), as it has a special fashion of itself, but this same fashion must not, and I got recently convinced that it must not, be searched on its overcrowded by tourists spots, in the St Mark square that, as the name suggests, is great but is also the only real square of the city, while the rest is somewhat more unique, nor must it be searched in the Basilica, a good first glimpse but decisainly overrated comparing to Ravenna's mosaics. The real, unique, Venice is in the decaying beautiful baroque building standing near the silent, dirty and narrow canal with gondolas sleeping on its greenish waterfront. It is the decaying fashion, yes, the utterly romantic atmosphere (and who doesn't like Coleridge's rhythm?) of its several narrow alleys conducing in surprisingly silent corners without any car motor and often covered with garments of unexpected, water ruined beauty. The best Venice is a city of unique charme, full of Tiziano paintings in secrete churches and of other artistic stuff as also Florence is, honestly even more, but while Florence gives an impression of excessive touristic perfection, this touristic jewel here is gradually being consumed by its very source, the sea. Go to Venice, and you can be here also one week without getting bored, and without visiting St Mark complex if not by chance. You will experience a place that must not be caught in pictures as a selfie background, but must be lived.

• LiveMusicLoverLyn published 30/06/2017
    Ciao! Remember Italy deserves a capital "I"!
  • RICHADA published 27/06/2017
    It may be that standards are different on the Italian Ciao!, but here in the UK we have something of a passion for travel reviews and thus expect them to consist of a little more than just one paragraph. R.
  • thedevilinme published 26/06/2017

Product Information : Venice (Italy)

Listed on Ciao since: 13/07/2000