Venturer 7in Twin Screen DVD Player

Venturer 7in Twin Screen DVD Player

Review of "Venturer 7in Twin Screen DVD Player"

published 02/04/2007 | exup35
Member since : 05/01/2007
Pro large screens, easy to use, decent quality
Cons need to hunt for best price - wiring could get caught
Picture Playback
Sound Quality
Ease of Use
Ease of Installation
Remote Control

"watch CARS in your er.. car"

DVD install

DVD install

Reason for buying
-------------------------

I have to admit, a slight reason for this was for show, every since I got my little Fiat, I have done little bits to it to make it look a bit snazzier inside - such as the blue glow wire running down the side of the back seats. Trying to avoid the furry dice and massive subwoofer clichés, I am going with what I like. Hence the DVD player.

Also when going on long journeys to relatives, the motorways can be a bit dull, especially at night, for the people sat in the back - so this was the main reason.

Asked a few people on the cento club forum and someone suggested this setup from Halfords. Although I found the same product at Argos for a little less.
(This was an offer before christmas - and since then the Argos price has gone up again, so may be best to hunt around still).

Also because the screens are easy to take off we could use it in either of our 2 cars.

What you get
------------------

What was strange at the time of purchase was that Argos were selling two Ventura DVD types. The 3.5 inch screen AND the 7 inch screen version. With the offer on the 7inch it was actually alot cheaper to buy it, than the 3.5 inch.

You get the DVD player, twin LCD screens, two pairs of headphones, remote control unit, 12v power cable, instruction booklet and carry bag.

The twin screens come with speakers built in, independant volume control and switch for widescreen/normal format. Also each screen can tilt slightly in it's housing for shorter or taller people to see the display easier.They attach to the rear of the front seat head restraints with an elastic security cord, then are secured in place by a wide velcro strip which loops through lugs on the back of the screen units, and around the bead restraint.

the remote is pretty basic, but has all the functions you need for a DVD player.

The DVD player itself is pretty slim, and although nothing fancy looks quite neat. No sliding DVD drawer here though, you need to lift the lid to insert / remove the disks.

The small bag is adequate to carry all the kit without a tight squeeze, although you need to be pretty neat with the wires otherwise you may not get them in - don't try to just cram everything back in after you have finished with it. THe bag itself is unassuming which is handy not having "DVD PLAYER" in big letters emblazoned across it. Although I wouldn't leave the bag or DVD player unattended anyway.

(You may also like to invest with a 12v extension socket, which you should be able to get from carr acessory shops - just incase you need to power anything else - most extensions will alloy you to use two items or even four.

In car DVD
---------------

THe first time I used this was Bonfire night coming back from my sister's. This meant along the A42 and onto the M1. My girlfriend had to work so there was just myself and my daughter.
So she watched a couple of films in the back. Although I could hear the soundtrack, it wasn't really that distracting, but then again if it was, she could have easily put the headphones on anyway.

Turning off the ignition on my car (and my girlfriends) will turn off the DVD player as the power is cut to the 12v socket. The DVD player will remember the disk position and resume from where you left off. Infact I didnt use the player for a couple of weeks, and on going on a long trip - put everything in the car, put the DVD in and it still remembered where we were watching it.

THe screens are good quality and bright, although you have to be directly in line to see them properly - like most LCD displays.
From the drivers seat it isnt too bright too cause a problem, you can just make out a dull glow reflected in the faces of the people in the back seat when some of the brighter scenes are playing, but only at night. Even when driving on the darkest gloomiest night, with no street lighting it still wasn't a problem.

The remote control has a good range, and with decent batteries - you dont even need to be in the car to use them. (see below)

One drawback is that you have to be careful with the wiring. especially if you only have a 2 door car, as the seats will have to come forward to allow access to the rear sear. This gives the possibility of trapping the wires as the seat is returned back into place.Also because there is a power cable, and a cable to each screen, then there is also the chance of passengers catching them if they move or get in/out of the car.

There are now some models of DVD player which can play different movies for each screen, However this one can't so people in the back have to make do with watching the same Im afraid, (Then again,though, different films would definately mean the use of headphones.

I am intending to buy a small power unit in the near future, which will allow us to watch DVD's should we go to any events )such as the World Superbikes, Grand Prix etc) when its evening - the racing has finished and its too early to go to bed. Then I can charge the power unit up while driving . and then I dont have to worry about flattening the car battery while stood still.
This is going to mean a warm evening, sat with the family having supper, with the car boot wide open watching a movie, made easier becuase the remote control has a good range on it.

• gaunts published 05/04/2007
    good review...cant imagine one of these in my Clio though!
  • nereesa85 published 04/04/2007
    sounds pretty good for long journeys. Nice review plenty of info and easy to read. is this stuff pretty simple to install then yes?
  • perfectlypolished published 02/04/2007
    My children go on for ever about these. I guess I will give in one day soon. Lin