Vera Wang Princess Eau De Toilette

Vera Wang Princess Eau De Toilette

Review of "Vera Wang Princess Eau De Toilette"

published 18/03/2009 | shazzaspannered
Member since : 12/04/2005
Our little boy Jack William arrived on 25th February 2011 three weeks early weighing 6lbs - am loving being a mum though there just isn't enough time in the day!
Pro Smells Very Distinctive, Long Lasting, Beautiful Bottle, Very Feminine
Cons May be too sweet and floral for some
Staying power
Design of the bottle

"The Perfume of a Princess!"

One of my favourite things to treat myself to is perfume and those who have read my earlier reviews will know that I am a self confessed perfume addict. I love the different varieties you can buy all with their own distinctive scents and pretty bottles. I have worked hard at my perfume addiction though and have really cut back on the amount that I buy – these days I adopt a one in one out rule as I started getting far too many bottles of half used fragrances sat in my wardrobe (any perfume lover knows that you keep bottles out of daylight to keep them smelling fresh).

Before we went on honeymoon I used up a couple of bottles of perfume and so I decided to treat myself to something new rather than buy a replacement for the fragrances that I just finished from the duty free shop at the airport. I had already been and tested a few different perfumes and had drawn up a list of ones I fancied getting, one of the fragrances on the list was Vera Wang Princess.

Vera Wang is a successful designer born in New York who originally wanted to become an actress; however she gave up this dream when she realised that it was unlikely an Asian woman would become successful in this field in the early 1970’s. Despite having no formal design training she worked at Ralph Lauren as Design Director for two years and was also an Editor at Vogue for 17 years. She has designed dresses for a number of celebrities including Alicia Silverstone, Sharon Stone, Tyra Banks, Jennifer Garner and Mariah Carey among many others. She is well known for her wedding gowns, her range of accessories, designing a Barbie gown collection and for her fragrances.

Princess by Vera Wang was created for the playful, unpredictable, independent woman who treats every day like an event and adventure. This is a woman who likes to make her own magic, this sheer, flirty blend of water lily, lady apple, mandarin meringue, and golden apricot skin are melded with sheer floral notes, accented with dark chocolate, and finished with a pink frosting accord, amber, warm woods, musk, and vanilla - a whimsical treat. This is definitely a very feminine fragrance and not one for ladies who don’t like a girly smelling perfume.

The perfume comes in a pale pinky lilac colored box with a heart shaped emblem on the front which tells us the perfume is called “Vera Wang Princess”. The perfume bottle itself is absolutely beautiful a heavy clear glass shaped heart with a flat bit on the bottom so you can stand the bottle up if you so wish. It comes with a crown shaped gold coloured lid which snaps on to the top of the bottle covering the spray dispenser, underneath this is a detachable gold ring studded with small amethyst style gems. I think this is a lovely touch although I wouldn’t wear the ring as an item of jewellery in my opinion it is better suited as an adornment on the bottle. The back of the bottle has been designed to look as if it is faceted and this adds an extra bit of detail without being over the top. The perfume inside the bottle is a pale lilac colour and one of the things I like is that it is easy to see how much is remaining. On the front of the glass is “Vera Wang Princess” written in black italic writing which I think looks very sophisticated and classy.

The perfume is dispensed using a bulk standard spray mechanism which you find on most perfumes. It is easy to use unlike some which are very stiff and difficult to push down and the design of the bottle makes it easy to hold in your hand while you spray the perfume onto your skin. I find this allows just the right amount of perfume to come out which means you don’t end up dowsing yourself in fragrance like some of the larger sprays which let far too much out in one go.

Now for the smell…….it’s always hard to try and describe the smell of a perfume in a written review but I’ll do my best to give my personal opinion on this fragrance.
The first thing I can smell when I spray this is a lovely floral smell with a sweet but very slightly musky background, I personally think that this is probably the water lily as a top note with the vanilla as a base note. After a short while the perfume changes slightly and kind of becomes fruitier and slightly less floral which I would image the pink guava starting to emerge. The aroma is very distinctive and romantic it does smell quite strong at first but after just a few minutes it soon dies down to leave a subtle but noticeable smell on the skin. I can find some floral perfumes quite heady but not this one, I think because it dies down to a pleasant scent quite quickly it doesn’t have a chance to get too much for me.

If you think of walking through a lovely field with wild flowers on a bright sunny summer’s day this is the kind of image I get when I wear this perfume. If you know that you like floral perfumes then you may possibly like this. I find this fragrance lasts a long time but is one of those perfumes that isn’t constantly wafting up your nose but will come and go throughout the day, one that you occasionally smell as your body temperature changes and just gives a pleasant burst of fragrance. I personally think this is suitable for either daytime or evening wear as the aroma is light enough to wear to work or whilst out and about but also sexy enough to wear at night time.

One thing I have noticed about this perfume is that it seems to be a BIG hit with the men! Quite a few of my male friends have commented on it when I’ve worn it, my husband likes it which is surprising as he isn’t usually a fan of floral perfumes. I always get people asking me what perfume I’m wearing when I have this on I think because the fragrance is so different to anything else on the market.

Now for the prices! This perfume is quite expensive (as perfume goes) I paid £25 for my 30ml bottle from the Duty Free Shop at Gatwick but as far as I understand the average prices are in the region of…..

30 ml bottle of eau de toilette spray £29.50
50 ml bottle of eau de toilette spray £39.50
100 ml bottle of eau de toilette spray £49.50

Obviously as I always advise shop around as there are lots of places on the internet that sell perfumes at reduced prices. Also check out your department stores such as Debenhams and Boots as sometimes they have special gift boxes for sale where you buy the perfume and get a body product such as a shower gel or body lotion (or if you’re lucky both) for free included. These make fantastic presents and I’m sure would earn any brother, boyfriend or husband brownie points from the lady in their lives if they were to receive one (hint hint).

I would also say that even though this perfume is on the more expensive side because it is long lasting you shouldn’t need to apply during the day (unless you are wearing it all day and all evening then you may want a quick booster squirt later on). This means that the bottle should last you quite a long time so pound for pound does work out quite cost effective.

I know this perfume is very popular with younger women as quite a few of my friends love this as much as me. I would say that personally it would be suitable for ages 18 – 45 although there is nothing to stop older ladies wearing it of course!

INGREDIENTS:

Alcohol denat, parfum/fragrance, aqua/water/eau, acrylates/octylacrylamide copolymer, benzyl benzoate, benzyl salicylate, butyl, methoxydibenzoylmethane, butylephenyl methylpropional, cinnamal, cinnamyl alcohol, citral, citronellol, coumarin, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, ethylhexyl salicylate, geraniol, hexyl cinnamal, hydrolyzed jojoba, esters, hydroxycitronellal, hydroxyisohexyl, 3-cyclohexene, carboxaldehyde, limonene, linalool, propylene glycol, tris (tetramethylhydroxypiperidinol) Citrate, ext. violet 2

I would say if you are looking for a very feminine fragrance which has a distinctive smell and you love floral aromas then definitely consider having a tester of this next time you are thinking of buying a new perfume.

I would award this 5 out of 5. It has everything I want from a perfume, beautiful smell, long lasting and an absolutely gorgeous bottle.

Thanks for reading.

Shazza xx

• Pearl58 published 21/06/2014
    Good review - looking forward to more!
  • frankiecesca published 17/03/2010
    I don't think I have ever had a whiff of this one but, I wouldn't mind having a sniff! I love the bottle too! x
  • LadyJoanne published 06/12/2009