Versace Blue Jeans Eau de Toilette

Versace Blue Jeans Eau de Toilette

Review of "Versace Blue Jeans Eau de Toilette"

published 19/05/2017 | Secre
Member since : 23/04/2003
Thank you for getting my Lucifer review up to the 30 rates; it makes me sad to see a review like that lingering unloved.
Pro A nice light and interesting scent that lasts...
Cons ...A bloke clearly wrote the notes!
Staying power
Design of the bottle

"My Jeans Are Blue Not Pink!"

Full shelf; please excuse the cruddy pic, light was bad so I've enhanced it to make it brighter

I’ve never been one to be conventional. It just doesn’t work for me. And so if you tell me a perfume is for men, I will likely ignore you. In this particular case, I don’t know if I didn’t read it or read it and ignored it, but the result was the same. I have a perfume for blokes. And it is mine. I actually bought it because it was on sale at Debenhams when I bought my wedding tiara and I have never been very good at ignoring sales. I was not meant to be purchasing another perfume, but tough.

Notes/Description

Top Notes: Bergamot, Lemon, Anise, Basil and Palisander Tree (or Citrus Cocktail and Galbanum)
Heart Notes: Geranium, Rose, Lavender, Jasmine, Sage, Heliotrope and Lily (or Juniper, Lavender, Jasmine, Violent and Nutmeg)
Drydown Notes: Iris, Sandalwood, Musk, Vetiver. Patchouli, Tonka Bean, Vanilla and Amber (or Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Vetiver and Musk)

Blue Jeans is a fragrance one always goes back to. A classic masculine fragrance with woodsy, citrusy notes with a spicy heart and a warm drydown. Released in 1994, this is a scent that has been going long enough to be called an absolute classic.
My Thoughts

My first thought is that you would never have this much confusion over notes with a woman’s perfume for heavens sake. Amazon doesn’t even bother to list the notes and every other source I have found gives slightly different information. Unless this is in an attempt to keep the trade secrets very, very secret, I have to conclude that this is simply because blokes are weird and don’t care. Either way, all of the potential notes are mostly included above… Which ones are accurate is completely up in the air because five different (usually reputable!) sources say five completely different things.

So, leading on from that, my thoughts on the notes are rather confused. What is this meant to smell like? Well, five different things judging from my usual scent sources! There seems to be a general agreement on citrus top notes, floral middle notes and woody bottom notes – although for some reason these are referred to as heart and drydown notes, which I assume is another bloke thing. What nobody is quite willing to agree on is what is there in addition to the citrus, what floral notes they actually are and what woody notes they actually are. Citrus, Lavender, Sandalwood, Vetiver and Musk are however the most oft repeated so I would guess this is the core.

I’m also not quite sure what makes this a masculine scent… all of those notes are notes which I have seen in female perfumes and even those combinations don’t strike me as masculine. Uni-sex perhaps, but there is nothing there that strikes me as, perfume for men, except for the fact that MEN is written on the tub.
On The Skin

On the skin this is light and refreshing but again, there is nothing within the scent that says it’s a masculine scent. It’s not a feminine scent either, but it’s that rare kind of neutral that makes it perfect for either gender. I don’t really get a floral tone to this, unless it’s merged in with the drydown notes, but I do get the initial refreshing kick of citrus. The woody notes are faintly there from the start and that might be the Palisander note, or it might simply be the drydown making itself obvious from the very start.

The perfume does develop on the skin, but at no point does it gain a significantly earthy, woody, musky or heavy scent. All of those aspects are there, but they are aspects and they don’t take over the scent. In fact, even when the citrus has utterly worn off, I would still describe this scent as a light, refreshing and clean scent rather than the usual descriptions associated with patchouli, musk and sandalwood. Those tones exist, but it’s cleverly done to enable it to so lightly balance of the edges of both masculine and feminine.

My only more negative point would be that the full scent doesn’t last as long as I would perhaps like, although in fairness, my fiancé could still smell it on me many, many hours later so maybe it’s just my nose getting used to it. Because it’s a very light and fresh perfume, it doesn’t linger heavily around you and it isn’t as powerful as I do like my scents to be. But then again, it’s nice to have a different and interesting scent that isn’t as overpowering as many of my collection can be.
Aesthetics

Versace do two versions of their jeans scent; the blue is for men and the red is for women. Interestingly, the female versions only difference is the colour of the tin which has a woman on it instead, the colour of the bottle and the word WOMEN on it. I do like the tin; the deep blue attracted me far more than the red and that is likely why I picked it up in the first place. However, unlike many excess tins, I have kept this one on my shelf, just behind the bottle.

The bottle itself stands out as it’s different. It’s a different shape, a different colour and has different markings to the rest of my collection and that makes it stand out just as much as the cool tin behind it. I think they’ve played this well; I couldn’t say what it reminds me of and yet the shape itself sticks in my memory.

Suitable For Whom?

If you hadn’t have guessed yet, I don’t think that this is necessarily only suitable for blokes. It’s light and woody enough that it could easily be used by blokes, but at the same time the scent is one which I would call truly unisex. It is a light scent and therefore I wouldn’t pick it up for evening wear, but it would be more than suitable for daytime wear and work wear. The female version has similar heart and base notes and the differences really lie in the top notes with the womens version having redcurrant, waterlily, lilac stalks, freesia and ylang ylang.

It is perhaps not so much of a perfume for the young female who may want sweeter and more overtly female scents; candyfloss and roses and all that jazz. This is a more subtle and perhaps a more mature scent, less of a teenage purchase and more of a mid twenties onwards kind of scent. Perhaps. I always feel odd judging these sort of things as I never did the sweet flowery crap as a teenager either! It is more than reasonable at £15 for 75ml on Amazon and other main retailers though, so I can imagine it being a nice scent for a young male.
Do I Recommend?

I do, and not just for men. My fiancé likes this as well and has been known to snaffle some when he’s out of alternative aftershave, but he’s another one who really tends to favour stronger scents. He likes this on me though and I like this on me and that’s all that really matters. So don’t be put off by the label; Versace Blue Jeans ain’t just for men!

• jb0077 published 26/05/2017
    vh
  • chrisandmark_is_here published 26/05/2017
    I think it's a lovely photo, very arty! Both my older girls actually prefer bloke's fragrances x
  • Pointress published 26/05/2017
    E!

offers "Versace Blue Jeans Eau de Toilette"