Vessel - Twenty One Pilots

Vessel - Twenty One Pilots

Rock & Pop - StudioRecording - 1 CD(s) - Label: Fueled by Ramen Records - Distributor: Arvato Services - Released: 02/09/2013 - 75678683770

Review of "Vessel - Twenty One Pilots"

published 30/03/2016 | rockchick2k7
Member since : 16/06/2007
Catching up with rates before I post more reviews!
Pro Lryically amazing! Consistent and didn't disappoint me!
Cons Not for everyone
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"Vessel - Twenty One Pilots"

Twenty One Pilots – Vessel

Released January 8th 2013 via Fuelled by Ramen.
Produced by Greg Wells, known for his work with Katy Perry, Adele and Mika.
5/5

Members:
Tyler Joseph – vocals, piano
Josh Dun - drums

I am aware that I haven’t uploaded an album review in quite some time. So I’m going to review Twenty One Pilots, simply because they are all I have been listening to over the last few weeks. This album, Vessel, is 12 tracks long and the list is as follows:
  • Ode to Sleep
  • Fake You Out
  • Guns for Hands
  • Trees
  • Truce

If you want or have the deluxe version, then the extra tracks are:
  • Glowing Eyes
  • Kitchen Sink
  • Lovely
  • Forest

I started listening to Twenty One Pilots last year – about summer time and immediately fell in love (and became slightly infatuated with Josh Dun!)
Now, I know that these are not everyone’s cup of tea and they are more for the younger generations of today. But there are some tracks, which can appeal to everyone such as ‘House of Gold’.
One thing I have noticed with Twenty One Pilots, is everything they write and put out is relevant. You might go and listen to this now, and start the first track and be put off. I can completely see why, rapping is something that a lot of people can’t stand. But, stick with it. When the chorus hits Tyler Joseph starts to sing, and it becomes so much catchier.

I am not doing a track by track review, I will be sat here all day talking about them and how much I love them – you will probably get bored and click off this review. I am going to review my top 5 most listened to, then it is up to you to decide if you will give them a chance.

Holding On to You

This is the second track on the album. With its fast tempo, and yes fast rapping – but not too fast, it really caught my attention. This track really comes into itself when the clean singing vocals start, and it’s amazing how Tyler Joseph makes it work so well. Lyrically, I guess this track doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, but the way it is performed makes me not care too much about that.
House of Gold

As I said above, this is a track that can appeal to anyone. It is actually quite a sweet song, and Tyler Joseph plays the ukulele, which gives a great atmosphere to this track. If you try this song, and like it you will have the lyrics down in no time and you will be singing along. The song was written for Tyler Joseph’s mother, which makes it even sweeter, I guess. The track has a great solid beat behind it, which certainly gets my knee bouncing! It’s only about 3 minutes long, but honestly one of my favourite songs to listen to!
Car Radio

Not for everyone, but certainly for me! Incredibly catchy track and one of their most loved releases. The fast pace (but again, not too fast) rapping is actually quite intense, especially when you really listen to the lyrics. The song was written about when Tyler Joseph’s car radio was actually stolen and how it made him realise music was his distraction from his thoughts. I for one can certainly relate to needing a distraction and 9 times out of 10, music is my go to; take that away and I think I would go stir crazy! All in all, a great track that’s very relatable.

=== Screen ===
Another sweet little track from the boys. I can listen to this song several times in a row (like most of their songs, really!) But the one thing about this track that really draws me in, is the lyrics. It is beautifully written. One part that really stands out to me is ‘while you’re doing fine, there’s some people and I who have a really tough time getting through this life.’ If you have ever seen this band live, then you will know that they encourage positivity and often you hear Tyler Joseph say ‘Stay alive, trust me, it’s worth it.’ It’s nice to know that there are bands still writing to connect with their listeners.

Truce

Finally, we have Truce which is on the deluxe album that I listen to on Spotify. It’s a soft song with beautiful lyrics and a piano melody that could make you cry if you let it. ‘Stay alive, stay alive for me.’ For those who really struggle in life with depression, anxiety and so forth, this track could be very comforting. Worth a listen, even if it’s just for the lyrics.

Over all, I find this album to be quite interesting as I have never heard anything like it before. I would certainly recommend this, but probably only to the younger generations. But certainly give them a chance, they deserve all the recognition they can get.

You can get this album for £5.99 on Amazon – or Spotify!

Thanks for reading!