VirginCars.com

Review of "VirginCars.com"

published 08/02/2005 | zero7
Member since : 26/01/2005
Pro money saved
Cons would rather pay the extra money for better service elsewhere!!!

"finally got it!!!!!"

This is a follow on from my original review 'still waiting'.
when i last wrote our situation was 2 days from our second 'estimated' handover date given by virgin cars and we were very un-optimistic.
This proved well founded as the 29th january came and went without any call from virgin to inform us our car was not available.
Once again we rang the dreaded 0870 number (around 7p per minute - average call length (including a usual of 15 minutes on hold) approximately 25 minutes =£1.75). I've come to the conclusion that the phone delay is another money spinning exercise which if you multiply that with the average 1500 customers per month to which virgin claim they supply cars and an estimated 10 calls on average per customer ( when let down or mis-informed by them) gives a grand monthly revenue generated of around £26,625!!!!!
Anyway, back to the missing car! when we rang to find out what was happening and where our car was, we were told that we would receive a call from the Sheffield office to inform us of the situation and they had no update on their computer to tell us.
I demanded the Sheffield office number ( which for anyone's future reference is 0114 242 9290) and called them myself.
I advise anyone who is not getting any joy from the customer service robots, to ring this number as you will usually get through to someone who has a much better idea what is going on!
We spoke to a very helpful lady who released the registration number of our vehicle to us and told us after the pre delivery inspection it should be available from wednesday to collect.
I also requested a receipt for the money we had paid to virgin cars but was told we had to contact the customer service team to get this.
Back on the phone again! I got through after the usual 15 minute delay and asked for a receipt. I was told it was not usual to issue one at this stage. I then informed them of the law (www.dti.gov.uk) that a seller must provide a customer with a receipt within 7 days of any money paid , and also read terms 6.5 in their own contract which states 'The customer shall ensure a written receipt signed by the seller is obtained in respect of all payments made by the customer to the seller. Such receipt shall form evidence of the payment made by the customer.'
As virgin cars had now had taken our money since the 21st january that made it a total of 10 days and they were breaking the law.
I was met by long silence on the other end of the phone and then a stuttered response that they would put a request in for a receipt and we should receive it within a couple of days.(ha!)
We then waited again to see if virgin would contact us with a final collection date(we still only had one contact from them since the initial order was placed back on october) and by friday finally rang them back ourselves after not hearing anything, to be told, yes it was ready and we could collect on saturday the 5th febuary.(why didn't they ring us? maybe it costs them to make a call!)
I also rang back the customer robots to see where my promised receipt was and after the usual wait was told that a receipt had not been sent and it was policy that we receive it with our car documents on collection of the vehicle!(does anyone know what is going on!!!)
Saturday we arrived to the depot in Sheffield to collect and we were stunned to actually see the vehicle stood as promised.(not so for at least 2 other people who arrived when we did, one told that their vehicle would be another 2 hours so go shopping and another who on checking their car had been given the wrong spec model!)
So much for the pre-delivery inspection!! My partner was previously a mechanic by trade for 10 years and amazed that such small but important things were overlooked!
He checked oil and water levels before(as most people) we were to set off on a hundred mile return motorway journey home and found a lack of water on the vehicle(which they provided us with a bucket) and also filled the washer bottle which was empty .
On later filling the vehicle with fuel at a nearby station he checked the tyre pressures which were at 57psi all round and were almost 20 psi more than the recommended limits .
The radio security code was missing from the documents and the rear square number plate was not available to us at that time (which they provided us with a normal plate as a temporary replacement and sticky tape which was stuck to the back wheel(not illuminated as it should be!)
And guess what - still no receipt as promised with the vehicle documents!!!.
We were told that we should contact virgin customer services for the receipt as they were who supplied them!!!(ARRRGH!)
We were given a very basic photocopied form to sign which stated the vehicle type and our name and address and our satisfacton with the vehicle. we added to the bottom of this the missing radio code and number plate and that we required an invoice and got a copy of this made for ourselves.
We took a number for the services department and before we left told a nearby older couple who seemed a bit confused by the whole procedure,to check their water and tyre pressures etc.before setting off home in their new car.
When my partner got home he reported that the steering wheel was clicking on a right turn only (something he suspects is linked with the indicator ) but otherwise it seemed ok
We are still waiting for the stereo security code ,so have no music, and the square number plate which is due to be sent..
As for the invoice, I called back virgin cars and refused to put the phone down until i was guaranteed an invoice even if i had to speak to David Cook (of DC COOK fame -SAME COMPANY???)their operations director personally and demand this.
Amazingly the lady went off the phone then returned and offered to fax me the invoice immediatley, as we don't have a fax i was promised the invoice in 48hrs by recorded delivery.
As for any of the other outstanding items it is just another long list in an appalling experience in buying a car from Virgin Cars aka Motor Solutions aka DC Cook.
We were hoping never to have to speak to them again and would never consider using their service plus (after sales service care)after the buying experience. I know we are not alone by reading other reviews and seeing at least two other people who were messed about at the collection centre.
It has been such a bad experience and cost to us in days taken off work for collection dates which were innacurate, expensive phone calls and stress and worry that please take these into consideration if you plan to use this company.
The whole process has taken almost 17 long weeks of no communication and badly informed staff with no knowledge of their own companies obligations.

We would rather pay full price in future than ever use them again
Please check other review under' virgin cars'

• angelatawn published 07/08/2005
    Wow, well, that's made my mind up - i ain't touching them with a bargepole. angela x
  • MAFARRIMOND published 09/02/2005
    What a nightmare! Some where to definately avoid. Maureen
  • HotBabes published 08/02/2005
    Well I know after reading your review that I shan't even look at them! ;-)