Virgin Credit Card

Virgin Credit Card

Review of "Virgin Credit Card"

published 18/08/2008 | s32bauer
Member since : 30/12/2004
Pro Good initial offer
Cons Awful customer service, soaring interest rates, no communication unless they want something
Competitiveness of APR
Product package
Quality of Customer Service
Reward Scheme
Additional Charges

"Virgin - AVOID AT ALL COSTS!"

I cannot express how much I would urge people not to get this credit card. Not even for it's initial offers - well, unless of course you are able to completely clear the balance before the offer expires.

I got this card around 2 years ago, with a £3200 limit. Due to the difficulties I was experiencing at the time, this quickly reached it's limit, however I always met the minimum payments, and often paid more than this.

However, due to more financial difficulty, I had to set up a payment plan with Virgin. This alone took 3 weeks to do, along with 4 separate phone calls to them and MBNA. Eventually Virgin agreed to the payment plan, however I regularly received threatening letters from MBNA, threatening court action, despite me sticking to the agreement.

I also have an HSBC credit card, which is at the same balance. However, I was a bit concerned that I was paying only £40 interest a month on my HSBC credit card, yet I was paying £98 interest on my Virgin card. After speaking to one of their advisors I was told that my interest rate had gone from the initial 15.9%, to 20.9%, then to 25.9% and was now at 34.9%! I was disgusted, as I had not received any letters or calls to advise me of this.

I was eventually told that if I paid another £80 on top of my usual payment that month, that they would be able to drop the interest to 18.9%. So, I left myself short that month and agreed to pay the extra. Surprise surprise when my statement arrived, the interest was still unchanged.

Another call, and I was told that they were still monitoring the account, and that it would be changed next month, and the difference refunded to me.

Another month passed - the interest was still unchanged. Virgin denied that they had any recordings of the calls and promises made to lower the interest rates. I was then told I had to pay £389 to bring my card back within the limit before they could review this. They didn't seem to understand that with the £100 I was paying each month, £98 of that was not being cleared because of the interest.

Eventually they lowered the interest, although reading some of the other horror stories online about them, I don't expect this to last for very long.

AVOID THIS CARD AT ALL COSTS! NO MATTER HOW DESPERATE YOUR SITUATION IS!

• burtybookworm published 07/09/2008
    Ive literally just left my own review on this, and have just read yours, we have similar horror stories! Virgin are the worst card ive ever experienced. Great review though x
  • Collingwood21 published 18/08/2008
    What a shame - I have another product with Virgin Money and have found them to be brilliant.

Product Information : Virgin Credit Card