Vision2learn - E Learning website

Vision2learn - E Learning website

Review of "Vision2learn - E Learning website"

published 16/06/2004 | kerryzach
Member since : 20/07/2003
Im back...... again!!! Hopefully this time to stay! Hope to make some new friends and get back into my writing! x
Pro Free, comprehensive
Cons Slow Start

"Learning with Vision!"

If you want to learn a new skill to get on at work, improve your lifestyle or even just study for fun Vision2Learn is probably what you are looking for. It offers a professional and comprehensive range of studies to suit all types of people and they are all FREE of charge! They are all to lead onto nationally recognised qualifications.So how come it is free!?! Vision2Learn courses lead to nationally recognised qualifications that are eligible for government funding. This means that the courses are normally free of charge to anyone over the age of 16 who has been ordinarily resident in England for three years or more, as long as this residency has been for purposes other than full-time study. If you meet these criteria you can usually study for FREE.

Apparently there are over 600 members of staff currently tutoring on the Vision2Learn website. Each tutor is assigned a tutor when they have registered on a course. Although they are not available twenty four seven, they do give prompt feedback and mark your work as regularly as if in college.

As I am only currently studying one course with Vision2Learn, I can only offer my opinion on that. At least you may get an idea of the service and the standard.

I heard about Vision2learn from a junk email. I decided to try them and had a look to see what courses they did. At a first glance I was not very interested but then I looked more closely. Here is the list of courses that they currently offer:-

PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT

Wizard on the Web

SPORT AND LEISURE

Essential Sports Coaching Skills
Healthy Living

The courses offered are ideal in the technological, career driven world we live in. The sport and leisure courses just top it all off! Personally I went for the Advancing your career with Emotional Intelligence. What the heck is that, you may ask! Well, give me a mo and I will tell you. ‘Advancing your Career with Emotional Intelligence will provide you with advanced skills to maximise your effectiveness and impact at work’

I registered with the website and waited to hear. I expected a quick response but waited about three weeks to get confirmation of my request. I was then sent forms from Cleveland and Redcar College to enroll with the college! I told you it was professional. It does not actually say which other colleges are used but I assume they will pick ones closest to you. I sent these forms back, again expecting to hear pretty quickly. Another two weeks later I was emailed and was told my course was available to access on the Vision2Learn website. I logged in on the website. Your work area is protected by a username and password. You are then assigned a tutor. My tutor is really nice. Although we only communicate through emails or V Mails, Vision2Learns own internal emailing system, she is very helpful and supportive.

You can register on as many courses as you wish but can only study one at a time. Each course is meant to take you about a year to complete. Before you register on any course, there is a list of system requirements, e.g. Adobe Acrobat, an email system etc. There is also a rundown of what the course involves. There is also a System Checker which runs through what you need for you and tells you if your PC is suitable. Good eh!

Your Study Area gives you access to information about your vision2learn course, college and online tutor. All the units to your course are listed and available to view at any time. All activities or assignments re available to print off and save. For Example, my course contains Units One to Eight e.g. Self Awareness, Goal Orientation, Social Skills.

There is also a Progress form so that you can track how your recent assignments did. If you fail a certain area, you are simply asked to re-submit. Your tutor offers loads of feedback to help you.

There is also a Café area for students to get together and chat about their courses and send messages to each other. I have found this particularly useful on more difficult work.

There is a Notepad facility for you to use when studying. The notes you make can be V Mailed to any other Student, if you need to and also your tutor.

Another useful facility is the Journal which is there to help you keep a personal diary of your thoughts and the work you do during your vision2learn course. The Journal entries you create can be viewed at any time by your course tutor. I am yet to use this although; I think it is a good idea if you are not very good at organizing your study time.

As with many college courses you are asked to keep a portfolio of your coursework as proof of your work to go towards your final assessment. As the courses do lead onto more professional qualifications and are nationally recognised, there are written exams at the end of the course, which are sat in a college. I am a bit worried about this part as Redcar is quite a way from me and I don’t fancy going to sit an exam with a load of strangers! But that‘s just me! I am a wimp.

I must admit that when I signed up for the course I thought it was going to be a doddle! I did not believe it was a ‘proper’ course! Boy was I wrong. I have felt brain strain for the first time since graduating! I am enjoying it however, and usually study for around four to six hours a week.
It is a very professional site which is easy to navigate. I suppose you could say you are spoon-fed slightly. Well worth a try if you are between jobs, feeling a bit bored or unachieved at the moment. Highly recommended!

• missixty published 06/07/2005
    I have just enrolled on this course and am now regretting it a bit since you've just said it will be hard! I thought it would be a doddle! Was planning to whizz through it all super fast! Still, I'm committed to it now! Let me know when you finish your course and what the exam was like! Good luck x
  • kibou published 22/06/2005
    very interesting, don't think I'll use it myself in the near future but I know people who will. Kibou
  • DBZKing published 28/06/2004