Vivitar ViviCam S529

Vivitar ViviCam S529

Review of "Vivitar ViviCam S529"

published 08/04/2013 | spiritwood
Member since : 15/03/2013
Hello! I am new to ciao and you will also find me over on DooYoo, although I am relatively new there too. Thank you for reading my reviews :) I live in Wales and have one daughter.
Pro Easy to use, good quality images and video, great value.
Cons None.
Picture Quality
Range & Quality of Features
Ease of Use
Reliability

"Purple and fun...."

Vivitar ViviCam S325

Vivitar ViviCam S325

I bought this for a slightly technophobic friend who had an extremely ancient digital camera with a shockingly low pixel count. It was a Mother's day gift and although she is not my biological mother, she feels like family and I like to spoil her when I can. I needed something that was intuitive enough for her to use easily and with a decent resolution. I did shop around a bit ( online) and was torn between this and a Samsung but this pipped the Samsung to the post because of the price.

The camera initially came to my house where I charged it for her, stuck the memory card in and tested it etc so that it was ready for her to take out of the box and use. My first impressions were obviously the colour, this camera is very cheerful and bright. The chrome lens bezels and metal inlay down the side give it some visual smartness and although the colour may not be to everybody's taste, I actually loved it. The purple is slightly richer and deeper than the picture. The underside has a little screw tripod mount which is useful for hands-free photography.

This camera came with a decent protective box containing everything you need to easily set it up and go including software. I left it on charge overnight and then tested it the next day. A lot of these little portable cameras are very similar in features and initially this was no exception. The menu and buttons were self explanatory and it was very easy to find the different functions. The build quality is good and sturdy.

FEATURES:

As I explored the camera more the additional features became apparent. This little camera has some extras that make it a good buy for most people, the first of these being an anti-shake feature to stabilise the camera when moving about and in high wind. It also has a face detection utility which is useful for portraits of kids for example. There is a video option in common with most digital cameras today and this records very decent and clear video even in reasonably low light.

Another feature is the "white balance" which adapts to the environment when in use ensuring correct colour saturation.

The zoom is great, with an excellent quality 3 x optical zoom and 4 x digital zoom option. Macro pictures are easy too and I managed to grab some very up-close pictures without blurring. The LCD display screen is 2.4" in size, plenty large enough to examine your photographs and edit out the ones that you are not happy with. I found the camera to be fast and responsive in changing from cam to video and I particularly liked the intuitive interface. The video camera option records in HD with a 720p high definition recording capability so videos are clear and easy on the eye. The video sound is true and clear. External memory cards can be added in up to 32gb so plenty of storage room for videos and high resolution pictures.

Speaking of resolution, this is very good at 16 megapixels and to be honest the quality of pictures and videos made me amazed that this little purple cam was priced at under £70. My first digital camera was a Fuji Finepix in the year 2001 and it was built like a brick. I will not tell you the resolution - too embarrassed. Needless to say, technology has moved on and for the better....

The camera has a standard lithium ion rechargeable battery which holds its charge well. The camera is compact, easy to hold, not too heavy and bright enough not to lose easily!

TECHNICAL STUFF:

Resolution: 16.1 Megapixel
LCD: 2.4" TFT
Built-In Memory: 32MB DDR1(Buffer)
External Memory SD card (Up to 32GB)
Mic: Analog Mic
Battery: Lithium Battery
Tripod Mount
USB 2.0 Interface
Image Format: JPEG
Video Format: AVI (With Audio)
Video Resolution: 640x480(VGA)

The camera comes with USB cable and charger and Vivitar Image Manager software.

In conclusion, this is a fabulous little camera for everyday use and a very good price.
Available in purple, black and red.

Available online including Amazon, I got this on offer for £65 but they seem to range from £70 upwards at the moment.

Summary: An excellent camera for everyday use.

offers "Vivitar ViviCam S529"