Volkswagen Golf IV 1.6

Volkswagen Golf IV 1.6

Hatchback - Petrol - Available Trims: SE, S

Review of "Volkswagen Golf IV 1.6"

published 25/01/2001 | xilr8
Member since : 19/01/2001
Pro Reputation & Safety
Cons Poor quality, poor customer service, expensive
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"My bad experience with Volkswagen"

Last year I ordered a brand new VW Golf (1.6SE), my first ever VW, I eagerly awaited for it to arrive on the 7th Jan 2000. Fantastic I thought - great car, great quality, good reputation... little did I realise the problems I would have over the year... within a week I found that, even though the pre-delivery inspection had everything ticked, the headlights were out of alignment, the windscreen wipers hit the door when operating, washer jets were pointing to the sky, the drivers side internal door handle was set about half an inch in more that the passenger side, the bonnet wouldn't close, the steering wheel wasn't straight and all of the lights dimmed when closing any of the electric windows - bum I thought, and took it to my local garage to be fixed... one of the sales guys had a look at the car and agreed all the faults, and took it in for repair, got the car back - I was then told that they couldn't repair the door handle as it was "within tolerance" and the lights dimming was standard (showed me another golf that did the same) - he then told me that I would have to drive 20 miles to another garage to go and have the bonnet looked at... I phoned the careline, about 3 or 4 weeks later I received a letter back and a phone call from the garage I purchased the car from saying that there would have been no problems as the car wouldn't have left the garage in that state - they didn't understand the fact that the servicing garage had found and repaired the faults... then after a heated conversation, they said that due to the amount of cars sold theres bound to be 1 or 2 like this and not to worry as there's unlike to be any more problems in the future...
Finally, got everything resolved... within 6 months I had taken the car the drivers side door leaked, there was loads of wind noise, the brakes were spongy, I found it really difficult to engage 1st and 2nd gear, the dashboard was out of alignment, one of the rear headrests didn't lock, damage to the rear seats by seat metalwork when they were folded down... and its due to go in again on the 25th Jan to have drivers side seat repaired, headlights reseated, bonnet repaired again, sunroof creaking, different coloured body panels looked at, drivers side door creaking, and it pulling to the left sorted (they've said that all german cars do this as they're built for german roads)... Its been in and out of the garage several times, and I'm sure that they and the careline are sick of me calling to report more and more faults (although I have received £50 compensation! yippee). I've just taken the car back to get those problems resolved - I received a courtesy car - an x reg polo - that even has problems - steering wheel not straight and bubbles in the plastic coating on the dashboard...!
I bought a VW thinking that I would be buying a fantastic car, get great service and keep its depreciation down - instead I've been fobbed off - they state that if the car had a fault reoccuring 3 times it would be replaced - instead I've had nearly 40 faults and no satisfaction, VW's customer service is not as good as it could be, and VW has definately lost this customer.

• sparkydog published 09/10/2001
    Very interesting op- I have heard that VW quality control isn't always what it's cracked up to me, and the poor customer service you received doesn't help. Hope you have better luck with another brand of car! Good opinion, thank you.
  • wilsam00 published 06/10/2001
    You wouldent have had any of those problems or any others for that matter with Skoda .Theres a roumour going around that the new Golf is the worst VW in the last 20 years after reading your op thats belivable!.Sam A good op!.I doubt your next car will be Volkswagen then?!
  • xilr8 published 26/02/2001
    I honestly wouldn't - I'm only getting a beetle because the dealership have offered me the same price as I would get selling privately - 10.5k - I bought it for 14.5k a year ago, and I've got commitments with HP. Over and above that - they're customer service is abismal.