Volkswagen Passat 1.9 TDI

Volkswagen Passat 1.9 TDI

Saloon - Front (FWD) - 5 Speed Manual Gearbox - 1896 cc - Max Speed: 120 mph - 105 bhp - Diesel - Available Trims: S, SE, Sport, Highline, Trendline

Review of "Volkswagen Passat 1.9 TDI"

published 25/10/2002 | Petsi
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"Dependable Motor"

VW Passat 1.9 TDi 1998 model. The car that we have is the 110 bhp SE version. I would really say that it is our second car, although we use it most of the time!

We have the SE edition, I think that this is mainly the addition of the climate control. I had a more sporty Audi that was really 'my car' the Passat is the wife's car, and she loves it. The Passat is Mr (or Mrs) Dependable.

We never used the Audi when we wanted to go down the motorway to see the relatives; the Passat gave us equal levels of comfort, better ride quality, and great fuel economy. The performance is adequate too, even for a petrol head like me - once you get the car up to speed on the motorway, it will sit there all day. In car entertainment is also great; the quality of the VW stereo is much better than the standard model in my Audi.

We recently moved house, we did about 4 trips with some extra things in the Passat; you can get a huge amount in; the rear seats fold down, unusual for a salon car, so that the already cavernous boot is transformed into an almost estate like space.

Space in the back for passengers is almost limo like, and they don't mind sitting there all day either.

You get the famous VW build quality; our car has now done 120,000 miles and you would never know, there are no rattles inside and that great diesel engine runs as strongly as ever.

No wonder VW did not change the design much for the facelifted model. The car was still class leading when it was upgraded. If I was to change the Passat I would go for a newer Passat - maybe the estate version this time!

• atbbiz published 06/10/2005
    An extra info about the engine, reliability, fuel consumption , costs on maintenance would be helpful
  • Woolyback published 10/01/2003
    Good op. The wife wants one of these so I read your op - would have liked a bit more info on fuel economy and the accessory package.
  • GR-Design published 25/10/2002
    120,000 miles without any rattles aint bad going at all! You never mentioned any problems you may have had in those 120,000 miles which is why I rated it as Helpful.