Volkswagen Polo 1.4

Volkswagen Polo 1.4

Volkswagen present the Polo 1.4 S 5dr Hatchback with 5 Speed - (Man) / 4 Speed - (Auto), Front (FWD) running on Unleaded Petrol

Review of "Volkswagen Polo 1.4"

published 23/12/2003 | nickjj78
Member since : 10/11/2003
Pro Great fun to drive, nippy and reliable
Cons Strange pedals!
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"Fun and funky Polo 1.4"

The Polo 1.4 was the first car that I ever bought myself so will always be quite special in a weird kind of way!

I traded in my old battered Fiesta that my mum and dad had bought me and purchased a VW 1.4 Polo Match special edition for around £10000.

The car came with quite a few extras for the money including manual air conditioning and an electric sunroof (very nifty gadget on such a small car!) I am not too sure why the car had both a sunroof and air conditioning though as you only really needed one or the other! It also came with metallic paint and I chose the Silver colour which was great as it hardly shows up any dirt at all and comes up very nicely when it's polished.

I owned the 3 door version and you did have to be careful with the front doors as they are very big and heavy and can sometimes blow away in heavy wind.

For safety the car has ABS (the brakes are quite soft in the Polos but definitely do work when you need to use them!) There was also front driver and passenger air bags.

The gear box was very smooth for such a small car although first gear did stick a bit when the car was cold. One thing I never got used to on the car was the pedals which were located very high form the ground and this caused problems for me when driving being over 6 feet tall: although I did get used to this quite quickly it was always strange!

The car was a little bit boxy inside but very functional and funky. It had agreat dash that lights up luminous purples at night and the dials are surrounded by a chunky metal frame. The car's controls are easy to use. The glove box is a strange shape but if fits quite a few CDs and off bits inside. It had one cup holder and a very neat credit card sized tray that was handy for keeping things like petrol loyalty cards in (at least that's what I used mine for!) There's no alarm with the car but it has an immobilser.

The car was really nippy and great for around town because of it's size. It handles well and has little roll. You can feel bumps but the suspension is good for such a small car. It was really easy to park anywhere because of it's size and the vision was really good all round. There is plenty of room for four adults in the car but 5 would be a squash for anything other than short journeys. The boot size looks small but it is quite deep and can easily take 2 decent sized suitcases.

The car is very economic on fuel and I used to get around 400 miles per tank around town which I thought was pretty good.

The only downside to my car was that the engine ALWAY made this funny ticking noise. I took it to the VW retailer several times but they could never find anything wrong with it!

I only kept my Polo for about 2 years and then traded up for a golf. I got a good resale price for it (£8000) and it was quite an easy car to sell.. The car was extremely reliable durnig the time that I owned it and it always started perfectly first time.

This is a great, fun and trendy car that has some really nice touches. It is quite nippy but still has a low insurance group (4) so it's great for younger drivers

• Maarcis23 published 30/10/2010
    My Polo also has this tickling noise, I can hear it mostly when I start my engine and temperature goes till 90, then this noise disappears.
  • nuttynaomi published 25/10/2009
    good review. i love my polo even though its splattered with problems!! friend for life though ah! ~Naomi~
  • dustypan published 26/01/2004
    i got a polo and i love it , however in a couple of years i would like to trade up...guess what a golf!!! yep i become a bit of a vw bore , but theey are good cars which hold there value.

Product Information : Volkswagen Polo 1.4

Body Type: Hatchback, Saloon

Fuel Type: Petrol

Available Trims: Match; S; Sport, Match; SE, Sport; SE

Range: Volkswagen Polo

Range + Engine Type: Polo 1.4, Polo 1.4 Dune, Polo Classic 1.4, Polo 1.4 Auto, Polo 1.4 FSI, Polo Twist 1.4, Polo Dune 1.4

Manufacturer: Volkswagen

Power: 100, 75, 80

Engine Size (cc): 1390

Towing Limit (kg): 1000, 800

Boot Capacity (litres): 1030, 270

Transmission type: 5 Speed Manual Gearbox, 5 Speed Manual; 4 Speed Automatic, 6 Speed Automatic Gearbox

Classification: Economy Car

Country of Origin: Germany

Emissions Class: EU4

Number of Doors: 3, 5, 3; 5

Acceleration (0 - 62 mph): 10.9 seconds - (Man), 12.9 seconds - (Man), 13.5 seconds - (Man), 12.2 seconds - (Man), 14.3 seconds - (Auto)

Maximum Speed (mph): 116, 107, 106, 109

Warranty: 3 years / 60000 miles

Cylinders: 4

Fuel Capacity (litres): 45

Torque: 93@4400 lb/ft, 93@3800 lb/ft, 97@3800 lb/ft

Driven Wheels: Front (FWD)

Insurance Group: 4, 5

CO2 Emissions: 156 g/km - (Man) / 182 g/km - (Auto), 157 g/km - (Man), 150 g/km - (Man), 165 g/km - (Auto)

Wheel Base (mm): 2465, 2466