Volkswagen Polo 1.4

Volkswagen present the Polo 1.4 S 5dr Hatchback with 5 Speed - (Man) / 4 Speed - (Auto), Front (FWD) running on Unleaded Petrol

Review of "Volkswagen Polo 1.4"

published 30/10/2010 | Maarcis23
Member since : 30/10/2010
Pro Economical car, great for students, Low budget car
Cons Costs to repair
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption

"VW Polo 2000, 1.4MPI, 8V"

Volkswagen Polo 1.4

Bought Volkswagen Polo this year at middle of June 2010. I was looking for a low budget car with manual gearbox and gasoline, so somehow my eyes caught up this VW Polo. I am very satisfied with this car since day of buying, it is comfortable even for 4 people in it. Yesterday we were 5 people in a car; I have to admit that on a backseat for 3 people it is a bit too small, if there was a longer distance, I should have made some short stops for my squeezed passengers. Have driven so far about 5000km and everything works great. I bought this car from local private seller Ilgonis Grunte. As I have seen on Internet, he has been selling cars for some time to people, mainly small type cars. Ofcourse, he didn't tell about some repairs, which will be done, that I think was major to tell. My mistake was to ignore "Check Engine" light when I took a test drive. This car was used, and there were needed some repairs, which has taken some money spending from me.
1. I had to change a new ECU, because the old one was with a defect;
2. Also I changed a catalytic converter, because car started to run rougher, and to start driving I needed to put more gas on;
3.Some small switches also I had to change, like brake light switch, emergency switch.
Since I really want to give only best stuff for this car, I am only going to official local dealer, which is taking care of those repairs, and I trust him, ofcourse he is not the cheapest one.
Despite costs has been high for these things, car finally works perfectly great. Since most I am using it in the city Riga, I am very satisfied, because it is quite economical in fuel consumption (about 6-8L/100km in city, and 4-5L/100km out of city) and parking also is easy, because this car don't use a big space. On high speed roads car is very stable, and goes smoothly, when I need to make a sharp turn, then I feel car goes hard on it.
1,4 MPI 8V engine doesn't give a fast start on driving, but for me currently it is ok. Since I am student, I don't need yet so powerful car. Engine works nice, and everything else is in good condition. Interior is how to say, very basic. It reminds me Škoda Fabia - year 2006.
In VW Polo I like that there is AC, fog lights, simple front panel, I like it's design. Every knob or button is easy to reach, and there is a good road view from the driver's seat, when I need to make a turn to left or right, I can see very good other cars on the road and situation by itself. In summer air conditioner was cooling good, and there was no sweating. Now, when winter is starting, car starts good and all windscreen is warmed up fast - in 5 min approx. If outside it is under 0 of celsium.
So in overall if there wouldn't be previously mentioned expenses to change parts on a car - I would give this car 9 out of 10 mark, but with these costs my rating is 7 (car is comfortable and economical on fuel consumption). This car is for young driver's with a bit of cash to splash because for it you pay cheap tax and it is cheap to run. Highly recommend, but don't pay too much for it.
And about exterior design. If I leave my car at a car parking spot and go to some party, if someone asks me how I arrived - I say with Polo, then 88% asks - the silver one? :) Yeah, it looks good, and it is noticeable. This car is simple and genius to a owner.

• Maarcis23 published 30/10/2010
    @FORCE6 - I see, what car do you have? :)
  • FORCE6 published 30/10/2010
    Ive allways liked the alloys on this. =D
  • dynamicnurse published 30/10/2010
    Welcome to Ciao!

Product Information : Volkswagen Polo 1.4

Body Type: Hatchback, Saloon

Fuel Type: Petrol

Available Trims: Match; S; Sport, Match; SE, Sport; SE

Range: Volkswagen Polo

Range + Engine Type: Polo 1.4, Polo 1.4 Dune, Polo Classic 1.4, Polo 1.4 Auto, Polo 1.4 FSI, Polo Twist 1.4, Polo Dune 1.4

Manufacturer: Volkswagen

Power: 100, 75, 80

Engine Size (cc): 1390

Towing Limit (kg): 1000, 800

Boot Capacity (litres): 1030, 270

Transmission type: 5 Speed Manual Gearbox, 5 Speed Manual; 4 Speed Automatic, 6 Speed Automatic Gearbox

Classification: Economy Car

Country of Origin: Germany

Emissions Class: EU4

Number of Doors: 3, 5, 3; 5

Acceleration (0 - 62 mph): 10.9 seconds - (Man), 12.9 seconds - (Man), 13.5 seconds - (Man), 12.2 seconds - (Man), 14.3 seconds - (Auto)

Maximum Speed (mph): 116, 107, 106, 109

Warranty: 3 years / 60000 miles

Cylinders: 4

Fuel Capacity (litres): 45

Torque: 93@4400 lb/ft, 93@3800 lb/ft, 97@3800 lb/ft

Driven Wheels: Front (FWD)

Insurance Group: 4, 5

CO2 Emissions: 156 g/km - (Man) / 182 g/km - (Auto), 157 g/km - (Man), 150 g/km - (Man), 165 g/km - (Auto)

Wheel Base (mm): 2465, 2466