WKD Original Vodka Blue

WKD Original Vodka Blue

Review of "WKD Original Vodka Blue"

published 04/03/2007 | Leopardskinny
Member since : 23/11/2006
Good
Pro Easy to drink, nice taste, good mixer, easy to carry- portable!
Cons Bit pricey, sickly, high calorie content.

"Mmmm ...sugary"

Okay, so first of all, I am only just turned 18 so hooray for me, I can drink legally! Since I am new to pubs and that, I usually go for things I know I will like- eg. alcopops. I guess being a young female I am the target audience for this drink.

Onto the drink itself. It comes in a strudy glass bottle, rather like a bottle of Budweiser. It is labelled clearly, and you can see the liquid inside- a lurid blue concoction. I think the first time I set eyes on blue wicked I couldn't help comparing it to listerine. Hmm. Anyway, apparentley WKD is reffered to as an RTD (a ready-to-drink) beverage. This means that you can just buy, drink, and be happy. No mixing or whatever. WKD drinks are basically vodka mixers- a flavouring mixed with vodka. They do WKD Blue, Irn Bru, and WKD red. You can buy them in 4 packs or 12 packs- the average bottle coming in with 275ml of alcohol-y goodness. You can also but a 700ml bottle. You can find them basically anywhere- pubs, clubs, Haddows, or the booze aisle of your local supermarket. They are very available and easy to find.

You can get the four pack for around £5.99 to £7, as prices vary. As a singe bottle, it costs around £1.35. It is cheaper to buy the packs rather than singles.

Okay so onto the most important bit. How was it? I popped off the top, and was greated with an odd smell. Not sure how to describe it, but it was sort of chemically- but- nice sort of smell. Very artifical. It smelled faintly of berries, hinting that it may have a fruity taste. The taste is pleasant. I'm not sure how to describe the flavour, but I think "Chemically enhanced berry" was be as accurate as I can get. As with all RTD's, like Bacardi breezers etc. this had that "once fizzy" stange taste. Like a bottle of coke that has gone totally flat- but still has the undertase of being carbonated. It suited the flavour and I liked it. The first couple of mouthfuls are nice, but when you get halfway down you don't really enjoy it as much as you did and you really begin to notice how sickly sweet it is.

Lets put it this way, if you don't like sweet drinks then definatley skip this one! Also, if you don't like the taste of booze then this is for you- there is no hint of alcohol taste in this at all. To get drunk on this you would need to drink a fair bit- but there is no way you could do that as these are just SO sweet and sickly. I like that though, because I like to drink, but sometimes I don't want to get drunk. Oh, and because these are so sugary, the calorie count is quite high- not good if you like to watch what you eat and drink.

Overall this is decnt, but having tried Bacardi Breezers and the Irn Bru flavour of WKD, I would say that this isn't all that appetising compard with those. The taste is odd yet palatable. If you like these type of drinks, go with the above instead of this. This is worth a go if there isn't much available, but generally wouldn't pick this out over other drinks.

Note: You can mix port with this to make cheeky vimto- makes it more interesting. Just drink a quarter of the regular bottle, and fill up with port back to full again. Shake and enjoy!

• bmthkatie published 18/10/2007
    sigh great review but unless for me - im allergic to vodka!! xx
  • grafter123 published 11/03/2007
    18 - soooooooooo jealous....eiley
  • Timbo3107 published 04/03/2007
    I thought it lookedlike Anti-freeze, taste put me straight off. Tim