Walk The Line (DVD)

Walk The Line (DVD)

Review of "Walk The Line (DVD)"

published 08/03/2009 | sewbizzie
Member since : 09/07/2007
About to move house, yet again (the joys of being an army wife!) so having some much needed time off and thought it about time I updated my status!!!
Pro Excellent acting, great story, good songs
Cons June Carter annoying accent
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"Johnny Cash as Never Before Seen"

After seeing this DVD so many times in Tesco and picking it up but then putting it back down I finally decided I would give it a go. I have to say that I am so pleased I did.

The film is about the life of Johnny Cash and his rise to fame. The start of the film shows him in a prison about to go on stage and sing for the inmates but he is staring at a wood saw and then we are taken back to his childhood. As a child he had an older brother who died from a wood saw accident and he grows up with his father always telling him that the wrong son had died.

Johnny grows up and get married and soon they have a little girl. He is struggling with earning enough money until one day he comes across a recording studio and decides that he and his two band mates will go and audition. The studio manager tells they that their sound has been done before and we would like they to sing a different song. Johnny sings one which he wrote himself and as a result the band gets signed up and soon start off on a tour.

On the tour Johnny meets June Carter who is also a singer and he falls for her, she does not act on this as he is married and a father. Johnny soon finds comfort in drink and drugs and very soon he is unable to sing or work properly as the drugs have affected him so much. Johnny goes home where his obsession with June sees the end of his marriage and Johnny spirals out of control. He has soon lost his record contract and has no one in his life.

Will Johnny be able to get off the drugs and make something of his life and will anything ever happen with him and June?

I was slightly put off from the film as I am not a fan of Johnny Cash as he was well before my time but I did enjoy this film. I though that the way the film was written made it easy to follow and I liked the way that they took us back to his childhood for a few minutes at the start of the film so we could see what a hard time he had as a child and how the death of his brother affected him. I thought that Joaquin Phoenix portrayed Johnny extremely well and his singing was great. I did comment to hubby at the start of the film that when he sang he sounded drunk but hubby said that this is how he always sounded!

June Carter was played by Reese Witherspoon and I though she was amazing in her role. Her character was very believable and she really made me believe in her. I did find her accent quite annoying but I have to say she always sang all of her songs extremely well. The chemistry between her and Joaquin was great and I did find their characters and the way they worked together very good.

I spent ages at the beginning of the film trying to picture where I had seen the actor who played Johnny’s father before and he was in fact the liquid T2 in Terminator. I though he put across a great mean and moody performance.

The songs were good and I did find I was toe tapping to them all the way through out the film. It was only when the film had nearly finished that I did find a song which I had heard before but I found I was not bothered by this as they were all great and sung extremely well.

The film was set in the 50’s and 60’s and I though that all of the costumes and the scenery fitted well for these times and a lot of time was put into the detailing of the sets and props.

I enjoyed the way that the end credits started with a few words telling us about what Johnny went on to do and also says the date and his death. I did find though that I had to rewind and pause them in order to read them as they went from the screen so fast.

The DVD which I have does have some bonus features which include:-

Audio Commentary
10 deleted scenes
Theatrical trailer

These features are standard on the DVD and it did not cost me any more to buy a copy with them on.

The running time of the film is 130 minutes which I found to be a good length as the film kept moving at a good pace and I did not find I was loosing interest at any point. The certificate for the film is a 12 as there is one use of strong language and some scenes of drug use but nothing major and nothing that a child of any age could see on TV in the majority of the soaps. I paid a bargain price of £4 for my new DVD from Tesco which I feel is a great price.

I do recommend this film to all fans of Johnny Cash and to anyone who enjoys a film which has a great story and excellent actors.

• Soho_Black published 17/12/2010
    I'm sorry for the H, but for this to be a full DVD review, I would prefer to see a review of the extras in the same detail as your review of the film, not just a list of them.
  • frankiecesca published 26/03/2010
    I enjoyed this more than expected too! x
  • dan_pentagram published 17/03/2009
    I was pleasently surprised by this film when i watched it and thought Reece Witherspoon outdid herself

offers "Walk The Line (DVD)"

Product Information : Walk The Line (DVD)

Primarily the story of the love that grew between country stars Johnny Cash and June Carter during the early years of Cash's career, WALK THE LINE is the result of intense collaboration between director James Mangold, co-writer Gill Dennis, Johnny Cash, and June Carter Cash. Though both Cashes died in 2003, they oversaw the script's development for seven years. Mangold and Cash's insistence that the film's stars would actually sing paid off. Witherspoon's singing (as June) is lovely, and Phoenix's contains the raw energy and soul that defined Cash's sound. Even as a child on a cotton farm in Depression-era Arkansas, Cash shows a strong interest in music, escaping from his no-frills life and strict father (Robert Patrick) through hymns and listening to the radio. When his brother dies in a freak accident, young Johnny feels responsible, and worries that he will never live up to his brother's goodness. The film follows Cash through his first marriage with Vivian Cash (Ginnifer Goodwin) and into the early stages of his touring career alongside such musicians as Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Elvis Presley, and most importantly, June Carter. As Cash's success grows, so does his relationship with drugs, alcohol, and Carter, putting a strain upon his family life. From his initial audition with Sam Phillips of Sun Records on through his legendary 1968 concert at Folsom Prison, Cash is transformed from a hesitant singer riddled with demons to a man whose uniquely bold style would make music history. WALK THE LINE never attempts to paint a full picture of Cash's prolific career, but instead focuses on the passions that drove his music and on the woman who gave him strength. With magical performances by Witherspoon and Phoenix, a haunting and inspiring American romance is brought beautifully to life.

Listed on Ciao since: 18/04/2006