Walk The Line (DVD)

Walk The Line (DVD)

Review of "Walk The Line (DVD)"

published 13/05/2009 | pmcds
Member since : 07/11/2005
The triple reloading due to the advertising banners ciao has is doing my head in. Almost can't be bothered to stick with the site!!!
Pro Great biographical film
Cons Nothing really
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"If you had to sing one song........"

I've put off watching this for a while. I'm not a great fan of biographical works, as I really like a thriller with a bit of a twist, and chronicling someone's life takes the suspense and mystery out of things. However, the wife and I have just finished watching this, and we were both surprised at how enjoyable we found it.

Walk The Line chronicles Johnny Cash's life. The country singer is possibly one of the most famous of his genre amongst the general public, if not one of the most famous musical performers of all time. But not many will know the tumultuous life he went through as a by-product of his fame. The film takes us from his early days before the death of his brother, Jack, right up to his proposal to June Carter in the late 1960s. We see the pressures of the high road, with touring and drink and drugs and women all taking their toll on the deep voiced performer.

Joaquin Phoenix is brilliant as Cash, and is well backed up by Reese Witherspoon as Carter. The pair work very well on screen together, and the acting is done brilliantly, particularly when the problems start. The remainder of the cast do a very good job, but special praise must go to Robert Patrick who plays Johnny Cash's hard nosed dad. The two of them never see eye to eye in the film, and despite Phoenix's male dominance throughout the film, whenever he and Patrick are on screen together, it is the more veteran actor who dominates.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film. I knew a little about Cash's life before watching this, and now I know a lot more. However, I realised that I recognised the majority of the music that was played throughout the film. Songs I have always heard but never attributed to Cash were all of a sudden revealed to me as his work, and my respect for his musical ability and reach went up. Ring Of Fire is one of my favourite tracks ever, and it's one that I knew was a Cash classic beforehand, but the rest of the music was also very well placed through the film.

Overall, this is a great film, and well deserving of its accolades. The DVD copy I have doesn't have any extras, I wish it did.

• arnoldhenryrufus published 13/05/2009
    I enjoyed this film - lyn x
  • manlybeach published 13/05/2009
    This is one I want to see. Well reviewed
  • blackmagicstar4 published 13/05/2009
    Lovely review- ive been meaning to see this but havent got round to it. x

offers "Walk The Line (DVD)"

Product Information : Walk The Line (DVD)

Primarily the story of the love that grew between country stars Johnny Cash and June Carter during the early years of Cash's career, WALK THE LINE is the result of intense collaboration between director James Mangold, co-writer Gill Dennis, Johnny Cash, and June Carter Cash. Though both Cashes died in 2003, they oversaw the script's development for seven years. Mangold and Cash's insistence that the film's stars would actually sing paid off. Witherspoon's singing (as June) is lovely, and Phoenix's contains the raw energy and soul that defined Cash's sound. Even as a child on a cotton farm in Depression-era Arkansas, Cash shows a strong interest in music, escaping from his no-frills life and strict father (Robert Patrick) through hymns and listening to the radio. When his brother dies in a freak accident, young Johnny feels responsible, and worries that he will never live up to his brother's goodness. The film follows Cash through his first marriage with Vivian Cash (Ginnifer Goodwin) and into the early stages of his touring career alongside such musicians as Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Elvis Presley, and most importantly, June Carter. As Cash's success grows, so does his relationship with drugs, alcohol, and Carter, putting a strain upon his family life. From his initial audition with Sam Phillips of Sun Records on through his legendary 1968 concert at Folsom Prison, Cash is transformed from a hesitant singer riddled with demons to a man whose uniquely bold style would make music history. WALK THE LINE never attempts to paint a full picture of Cash's prolific career, but instead focuses on the passions that drove his music and on the woman who gave him strength. With magical performances by Witherspoon and Phoenix, a haunting and inspiring American romance is brought beautifully to life.

Listed on Ciao since: 18/04/2006