Review of "Walkers Sensations Lime & Coriander Chutney Poppadoms"

published 29/12/2008 | Spottydog11
Member since : 07/09/2007
Reviews : 1977
Pro Tasty, light, nice flavour
Cons None
Smell
Product Quality

"Poppadoms"

In my opinion Walkers crisps have outdone themselves with their new Walkers Sensations crisps.

Walkers crisps have been around now for well over 60 years now. A gentleman called Henry Walker took over a butchers shop in the 1880's but after the second World War he saw production go down and had to look for other ways to make money. He began hand-slicing and frying potatoes and sold them as potato crisps, the first flavour being Cheese and Onion. Now there are so many flavours and varieties to choose from.

I recently bought a packet of their Lime and Coriander Chutney Poppadom bites as they were in a big bag and perfect for serving at our Christmas party. They looked like they would be something great to snack on but a bit different from the normal crisp/snack food that you can usually buy. Also, at the moment at Sainsburys they are two packets for £2 so a great bargain

Firstly the bag itself looked really quite posh to me and inviting so I have to say this is what first attracted me to them. That and the fact that Walkers are such a British institution and well known for their really good crisps so I knew we couldn't go wrong. The bag is a lovely darkish purple colour with Sensations written on it. It has a picture of the poppadoms on the front as well as some green leaves to signify the coriander. The bag I bought was 90g.

A poppadom is basically a thin Indian wafer, sometimes described as a cracker or flatbread. They are always served in Indian restaurants as an accompaniment to your meal. They are my favourite part of a curry dinner so I was really excited to try these.

These Walkers poppadoms are described on the packet as being light and crispy. Well I definitely found this to be true. They were quite thin and almost looked like a KP Skips crisp in terms of shape and size. They are quite small and round but curl up at the edges just like a regular poppadom. They were quite airy and definitely very crispy when you bite into them. They are actually made using traditional gram flour to recreate an authentic taste of Indian so I think this is why they tasted very traditional and nice.

The taste was really lovely and fresh. They are different than normal poppadoms which are generally plain in that they have a flavour to them, namely lime and coriander. According to the packet they are described as, "real coriander leaf and lime combine to bring you an exotic and tangy fusion of delectable Indian flavours." You could definitely see the coriander on them which was nice and did give a nice herby flavour to them. The lime was quite subtle, not overly tangy or sharp but you could definitely tell it was there and it gave a lovely fruity flavour to the crisps.

Like all Walkers crisps now as well these use 60% less saturated fat than they did in 2006 so that's great from a health point of view. In fact I did find these crisps quite healthy compared to regular crisps. Per 100g there are 465. If you have their recommended serving size of 18g which is all you need for just a snack then there are only 84 calories which I think is great.

All in all a great, different snack product that I would definitely recommend!

• kevin121 published 13/01/2009
    One for me to add to my shopping trolley!
  • TheChosen1 published 03/01/2009