Warwick Rockbass Streamer Std 5 2-PU

Warwick Rockbass Streamer Std 5 2-PU

Review of "Warwick Rockbass Streamer Std 5 2-PU"

published 31/08/2011 | pyrohaz
Member since : 31/08/2011
Pro Cheap, sexy looking, good tone, variety of sounds, nice chunky neck
Cons Weight, this thing can be heavy! Pickups can be fiddly to adjust, stock strings are of low quality
Quality of sound
How easy is it to buy accessories?
Quality of amplified sound
How well constructed is it?

"Brilliant bass for the money, Lovely tone!"

I first bought this bass guitar after moving out of the 4 string realm. I wanted to experiment with new levels of LOW LOW LOW!

For my first point, unfortunately a negative so read through to get to the better points! When I first got the bass, I wasn’t really knowing of how the low B should sound. I had a Vintage 5 string jazz copy before which was pretty darn atrocious! So I didn’t quite know what to expect.

I started out playing simple 4 string stuff on this bass but once I started bringing in the more complex 5 string bass stuff, I was quite miffed at why the volume of the B was much lower than the volume of the other strings! After a bit of pickup height adjustment, I was eventually happy with the result.

For the second negative, I was unhappy at the stock string that came with it! I’ve been quite a fan of Warwick Red Label bass strings so far so I expect that the strings that came with this bass were NOT standard Warwick red labels! The D and the G just sounded extremely weedy and thin so I replaced these with some stock string that I had around at the time and they have stayed with it since.

Finally! Onto some good points. The playability of this bass guitar is the textbook Warwick reputation. After playing a 4 string Warwick, I was thinking that I would find it hard to adjust to using a 5 string instead but not with the help of this bass! I loved the action, the speed of the neck and just the weight, it felt just good. After adjusting my playing style to 5 strings, I just fell in love with the neck even more, straighter than anything! After adjusting the action to my taste and the string height, I could use this bass for my style of fast playing and tapping.

In my opinion, it’s an absolutely brilliant bass for both beginners and pro’s, as you know Warwick’s are used by MANY of the world’s famous bassists, varying from Robert Trujillo to Jack Bruce.

I have used this bass many times for gigging and can safely say that it can stand up to the odd bang and bump. To this day, I haven’t had any problems with the quality of pots or jacks OR with neck warping.

Another positive point for this bass is the effectiveness of the tone knob! On many passive basses in the past, I have had problems with the tone knobs having absolutely NO effect on my tone whatsoever! On the other hand, this bass has a incredibly variable amount of tones! A silky smooth tone with a nice bit of finger/pick click (I play finger style predominantly). While on the other end of the spectrum, a FAT middy tone with pronounced harmonics for that ultimate cut through sound! In conjunction with an EQ pedal, the selection of tones is infinite.

I can safely say that I would recommend this bass guitar to anybody and in the future if I ever collect the funds, I would get the PROPER Warwick Streamer 5 bass (Non-Rockbass version)

• Bigbaz published 01/09/2011
    I know what you mean about the tone control, my Fender Jazz is like that. As for five strings well I know what you mean especially when I listen to Trujillo's solo For Whom the Bell Tolls, the low B is just great.