Weetabix Weetos

Weetabix Weetos

Children's

Review of "Weetabix Weetos"

published 29/09/2011 | Ryanellaxx
Member since : 20/03/2010
Been on holiday but back now to write & rate! We need more than 8 Es a day! - Love family friends good food and wine! x
Pro wholegrain, fortified with vitamins and iron
Cons sugar content
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"AM I A BIRD? AM I A PLANE? NO! I AM WEETO!!!"

My son Ryan (who asked to be given a credit in my review) came home from a sleepover and said that he had tried a new breakfast cereal - namely Weetabix's Chocolate Weetos.

I wasn't too keen on the idea of him having a chocolatey cereal but being a rather soft mummy at times, I agreed to buy some so he could have them on occasion but on reading all the information on the pack, the healthier aspects of this cereal put my reservations somewhat to rest.

This is a wholegrain cereal (which is a plus) as wholegrains release energy slowly os hopefully will fuel your child enough to get them through to lunchtime. They have also been fortified with vitamins (including vitamin D) and iron. They are also low in salt and free from artificial colours.

Yes, this cereal does contain cocoa powder and is probably not that great for the teeth but on the whole I don't think these are too bad as far as these sweet cereals go and when my children eat plain cereals like rice krispies or cornflakes they have sugar added on top anyway.

I have just eaten one dry and they are nice and crunchy without being too hard on the teeth with a good hit of chocolate favour derived from the cocoa powder covering. They are quite sweet and i personally would not choose these to eat myself but I can absolutely see why children like them. The smell of these is not overly chocolatey but nonetheless quite pleasant.

These come in a hoop shape (about the size of a polo mint) and the packaging also appeals to children in that a giant weeto (with arms and legs) adorns the front and back of the box (different from box pictured by ciao) almost like a super hero character declaring; 'I'm crunchy', 'I'm chocolatey',I'm wholegrain' (whilst flexing his muscles), and 'I am Weeto!'. The box is mostly chocolate brown in colour and a 500g box contains around 16 30g servings.

These do stay crunchy once the milk is added as long as you don't leave them for ages before eating and the milk does also turn chocolatey after a minute or two so the last of the milk can be drunk like a milkshake from the bowl or more demurely sipped off of the spoon!!

Per 30g serviing these only contain 118 calories; 1.5g of fat 90 (0.3g of which is saturated fat); 7.1g of sugar and only 0.07g of salt. I have seen much higher sugar content in other sugary/chocolatey cereals so I really don't find these as bad as I thought they would be although it is obviously still quite high.

This product is suitable for vegetarians and a 500g box cost me £2.50 although they do do a smaller 375g box which costs £1.99 if you want to try them out as cost effectively as possible.

Allergen warning: This product contains wheat & milk.

Despite my reservations about these types of cereals, I am happy that these contain wholegrain and vitamins and that my child enjoys them!

Thanks for reading. x