Weezer (Green Album) - Weezer

Weezer (Green Album) - Weezer

Review of "Weezer (Green Album) - Weezer"

published 20/08/2001 | DJWally
Member since : 20/12/2000
Pro Great pop rock songs that almost any band would kill for.
Cons Weezer aren't "almost any band". Sadly no lyric sheet either.
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics
How does it compare to the artist's other releases

"Come on and hit me"

As I’ve previously stated, I loved Weezer’s self-titled debut album, but I missed the 1996 follow-up “Pinkerton”, and, as the band dissolved following that album, I never really thought too much more about them.

Then, earlier this year, they reformed and released another self-titled album. Every critic claimed it was a work of genius, and suddenly, I found myself digging out the first album for a few nostalgia spins. Still wary, I bought “Hash Pipe”, the first single from the album, and on the strength of that song, I bought the album. I’m sorry to admit it, but I found the album was slightly disappointing.

To be fair, though, The Green Album had some pretty big shoes to fill. The first album is, in terms of emotive song writing, up there with Nirvana’s finest work. It also possessed a professional musicianship that only served to enhance the quality of the music within, without ever playing to the musician’s egos.

Whilst this level of both musical ability and taste remains, the song writing is somehow “flatter” in many places of this album than on the first album. This is still an album that leaves many current bands eating Weezer’s dust, but the band have proven they can do better.

Opener “Don’t Let Go” starts the album strongly enough. A beautiful little love song, with sweeping vocal harmonies tied to some buzzsaw guitars. It’s a great song, one that the Blink 182 and Green Day wannabes of this world would fight themselves over. Following this was “Photograph”, a great two-minute pop rocker, which gets in and out again with the bare minimum fuss.

From there we go into the first single “Hash Pipe”. This is the undisputed highlight of the album, a chugging almost heavy metal riff, gives way to a great “woah-woah” chorus. Pure genius; and a clear indication of what this band’s capable of if they try.

Then, after three tracks of fuzzed-out pop, we’re treated to “Island in the Sun”, the next single, and an altogether mellower affair. The relaxed pace and vibe never really breaks, even when the guitars are turned up. From there, we’re into “Crab”, the kind of melodic rocker this band can write in their sleep. It’s a good song, but the band never sound like they’re trying.

Next up is “Knock-Down Drag-Out”, my second favourite song on the album. Too short by half really, but it’s another beautiful pop-rocker. From there, we go to “Smile”, a slightly slower, more melancholic rocker, but largely following the blueprint of the songs that have gone before.

Following tracks “Simple Pages” and “Glorious Day” both follow this mould too, making for a frustrating listen. On the one hand, all of these songs are good, and, indeed, if I was listening to another band performing them, I would be impressed, but this is Weezer! They could write an album like this before breakfast! It honestly sounds like they stopped trying.

Only the last track, “O Girlfriend” recalls anything like the emotive quality of the first album, but by this point it’s too little, too late! That said it is a great song about lost love, but not quite enough to save the album.

As I’ve said, there’s nothing particularly bad about this album, indeed “Hash Pipe” and “O Girlfriend” are amongst the best songs the band have written. However, in terms of variety and depth, this falls short of the band’s other work. This is sadly an exceptional band releasing a “merely” good album.

• yhwman published 20/08/2001
    So I didn't imagine it! They did split... I heard Hash Pipe on R1 rock show and loved it, not heard anything else yet though.

offers "Weezer (Green Album) - Weezer"