Wella Viva Hair Streaking Kit

Wella Viva Hair Streaking Kit

Hair Colour

Review of "Wella Viva Hair Streaking Kit"

published 12/11/2006 | welshwickedone
Member since : 24/02/2004
Pro Great value, good quality, good results, ease of use
Cons None.
How easy is to apply?
How did the colour meet your expectations?

"Saturday's are for Streaking.."

The product

The product

Wella Hair Streaking Kit.
=====================

My Daughter has reached that age where having your hair coloured is the in thing. Fortunately for us, she has a Mother who is a trained hairdresser and fortunately for me as it is saving me a fortune as it now costs around £30 to have your hair highlighted in a Salon. After months of nagging me, I finally caved in and agreed to highlight her hair for her yesterday. So off we ventured to Sainsbury's to purchase a kit and on returning home it was grab a chair, painkillers and the kit and away we go.

The Kit.
--------------------
The kit we choose was the Wella Hair Streaking Kit, which cost £4.79, and although faced with a few to choose from, I opted for the Wella as I have used it in the past on my own hair and always been happy with the results. Although I have been using the Boots home brand lately, I choose this one, as I did not want to travel all the way to my nearest boots store. The kit comes in a pale blue box and has a woman with short blonde highlighted hair on the front. The kit contains everything you will need to perform highlights at home.

Contents.
1 Sachet of Conditioning Treatment 10ml
1 Pair of high quality Protective Gloves
1 Highlighting Cap
1 Instruction Leaflet.

The crème developer comes in an opaque coloured plastic bottle with a white plastic lid. The lightening powder comes in foil-sealed packets, as does the conditioning shampoo. The applicator brush and hook are white sturdy plastic and the mixing tray is slightly flexible and made of white plastic. The gloves in this kit I must say are great compared too many other colourant kits I have used. Wella have chosen to opt for the latex style gloves in there product rather than the clear plastic ones which are always too small and impossible to get on your hands. These gloves on the other hand are stretchy and very easy to put on and it is a great improvement as they are more sung fitting making application easier whilst wearing the gloves. Finally, the cap itself is plastic with tie straps to secure it. The holes in the cap are pre-punched and the cap has a thin clear plastic lining on the inside, which you have to pierce with the hook when pulling the hair through the holes. This is to prevent the bleach seeping through the pre-punched holes onto your hair underneath the cap and causing blotching.

Before You Start.
-------------------------------
It is extremely important that you read the instruction leaflet fully before you begin. You must also do a strand test as per the instruction leaflet to see the colour you will achieve and the development time required. Finally make sure all the contents of the kit are present and correct before you start.

Application.
--------------------
Ensure your hair is dry and knot free before you begin. Place the Highlighting cap securely on your head, tying the strings around you neck to keep it in place firmly. Starting from the crown, begin to pull through strands of hair through the pre-punched holes using the hook end of the applicator brush. Try to keep the amount of the hair you pull through even so that you get an even result at the end of the highlighting process.

Once you have pulled hair evenly through all the holes and are happy that you have an even look all over, get a fine toothed comb and comb through the pulled through hair to remove any looped hair that may be present as this will cause a very uneven finish if the loops are not removed. It is then time to mix the bleach powered and the Crème Developer in the mixing tray as instructed in the leaflet. Add all the powder and liquid do not try to measure out half portions. When mixing the liquid try to blend it together by folding first as stirring together fast can cause the powder to puff out of the tray and possibly being inhaled.

Once the mixture is fully blended and is creamy in consistency with no lumps you should start applying it to the pulled through hair a few strands at a time. Always wear the protective gloves and applicator brush to apply the bleach mixture to your hair and ensure all the hair is fully covered. After this is done, it is time to allow the powder to develop, but be sure not to cover the mixture with a bag or anything, as this will cause excessive hair damage and over developing with a possibility of receiving burns.

Once the development process is over it is time to move onto the final stage of the process. Without removing the cap rinse all the crème from your hair with warm water until it runs clear, then you can remove the highlighting cap. Once you remove the cap, wet all your hair, wash with the shampooing conditioner, and then rinse thoroughly until the water runs clear. Once this is completed you can then dry your hair as normal as the process is now complete.

Note:- Once you have mixed all the liquid and powder dispose of any which is unused immediately, do not under any circumstances try to save any for use another time.

The Result
----------------------
After the complete process and 40 minutes development time my daughter was extremely pleased with the result as was I. The highlights came out a pale golden blonde in colour and were not orange or brassy in any way. My daughter is fortunate as she has medium to dark blonde hair, but I have light brown hair and have always had a similar result after about 45 minutes.

Important.
---------------------

I am not going to list all the ingredients of the kit but I will say that you must be aware that this product contains Hydrogen Peroxide, Ammonium Persulfate, Magnesium Carbonate Hydroxide and many other chemicals and you should always read all the contents before you begin in case of any allergies you may have.

Do not use this product if you have had any kind of reaction to any other hair colourants and always read storage instructions carefully.

Welshwickedone© November 2006

• Paul99ine published 07/01/2007
    Hmmm......I'm too much of a coward to attempt this. I'll keep going to my hairdresser. Pauline.
  • mum2natalie published 21/11/2006
    Good review. My niece recently had her hair highlighted and of course, MY daughter now wants it done. I've home coloured my hair for about 20 years so I'd be happy to use a home kit on her. It was nice to read a comprehensive review from someone who also knows what they are talking about! Thanks! Sarah x
  • Sal4Mike published 18/11/2006
    Ooh - that brought back some memories!! I used to have highlights put in my hair regularly and that cap being ripped off used to bring tears to my eyes!! lol Interesting review. tc x Sal x