Western Digital My Passport 500 GB

Western Digital My Passport 500 GB

Review of "Western Digital My Passport 500 GB"

published 31/07/2010 | mehmet1st
Member since : 31/05/2010
Pro Big capacity, small, convenient.
Cons can crash if handled to rough
Memory / capacity
Reliability
Design
Ease of Installation

"Western Digital Has The Drive"

I am A big computer user and I do a lot of downloading of movies and music, my computer hard drive is 300 gb and I only had 20 gb left, it was enough to run my computer and keep it up to peak(ish) performance but that meant that I couldn't download anymore stuff.
Until my girlfriend got for me Western Digital, well I thought to my self that this will be all the room I need now.
With its slim black look with a matt finish with only a USB cable to power this large storage device from just the power of the computer.

Height 1.5cm
Width 8cm
Depth 12.6cm
Weight 180g
Capacity 500 GB
Interface 1 x Hi-Speed USB - mini-USB Type B

When you first open the box you have within, a warranty, a cable with one end a normal size USB for your computer and a little connector at the other end to connect into your Hard Drive itself, you have a manuals (but you really don't need to read it, it tells you how to store it and how to set the lock for the hard drive with a password, but it's really all common sense to be fair), and you get the hard drive itself.
When you first plug in your hard drive it loads up the necessary software that it needs and then it guides you through some steps to establish a main computer to your hard drive so you can set up the password for your hard drive lock, but you don't necessarily have to do this, its just an option that your hard drive gives you.
When you have gone through all you need to do a little WD icon appears in the bottom right of your computer screen with the other icons(if it's a vista), tells you if your hard drive is locked or unlocked, how the temperature is and how much space you have left.

Now as great as it sounds there are some down sides.
Even though it's a portable external hard drive it still is vulnerable to knocks and bumps and Earlier versions of WD are known to crash or for there internal motors to start jamming, if you just pay out a little money and by a little case for it with a little padding it helps brilliantly.
It may be smaller than it's older brothers but it still needs a certain amount of care with it because its technically still a computer.

You can pick this up from Amazon for £129.00

I am now running low on this hard drive too, but I think my problem is I want to keep everything I see and hear so I guess I will always run out of space.

Also Found on Dooyoo under the same name

Product Information : Western Digital My Passport 500 GB

Capacity: 500 GB. Hard disk interface: Hi-Speed USB. Colour: Charcoal. Features: Password authentication. Interface Transfer Rate: 480 Mbps. Dimensions (W x D x H): 83 x 110 x 15 mm. Weight: 200 g.

Long Name: My Passport 500 GB

Data Transfer Rate: 480 Mbps

Weight: 200 g, 180 g

Localisation: Middle East, Africa, Europe

Interface: USB 2.0

Product Description: WD My Passport Essential WDBAAA5000ABK - hard drive - 500 GB - USB 2.0, WD My Passport Essential WDBAAA5000ABL - hard drive - 500 GB - USB 2.0, WD My Passport Essential WDBAAA5000AWT - hard drive - 500 GB - USB 2.0, WD My Passport Essential WDMEB5000 - hard drive - 500 GB - USB 2.0, WD My Passport Essential WDMES5000 - hard drive - 500 GB - USB 2.0, WD My Passport Essential WDMER5000 - hard drive - 500 GB - USB 2.0, WD My Passport Essential WDME5000 - hard drive - 500 GB - USB 2.0, WD My Passport Essential WDMEW5000 - hard drive - 500 GB - USB 2.0, WD My Passport Essential WDBAAA5000ARD - hard drive - 500 GB - USB 2.0, WD My Passport Essential WDBAAA5000ASL - hard drive - 500 GB - USB 2.0

Features: Password authentication

Microsoft Certification: Compatible with Windows 7

Manufacturer Warranty: 2 years warranty, 3 years warranty

Dimensions (WxDxH): 11 cm x 8.3 cm x 1.5 cm, 8 cm x 12.6 cm x 1.5 cm

Enclosure Colour: Midnight black, Pacific blue, Arctic white, Intense blue, Cool silver, Real red

Power Source: USB bus

Type: Hard drive - external ( portable )

Expansion & Connectivity

Interfaces: 1 x USB 2.0, 1 x USB 2.0 - mini-USB Type B

Software & System Requirements

OS Required: Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 7, Apple MacOS X 10.4, Microsoft Windows Vista, Apple MacOS X 10.6, Apple MacOS X 10.5

Software Included: Smartware, Google Software Pack, WD Sync

Environmental Parameters

Max Operating Temperature: 40 °C

Min Operating Temperature: 5 °C

Manufacturer Warranty

Service & Support Details: Limited warranty - 2 years, Limited warranty - 3 years

Service & Support: 2 years warranty, 3 years warranty

Power

Power Source: USB bus

Miscellaneous

Cables Included: 1 x USB cable - external

Package Type: Retail

Compliant Standards: RoHS

Compatible with Windows 7: "Compatible with Windows 7" software and devices carry Microsoft’s assurance that these products have passed tests for compatibility and reliability with 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7.

Localisation: Middle East, Africa, Europe

Performance

Interface Transfer Rate: 480 Mbps

General

Height: 1.5 cm

Weight: 200 g, 180 g

Width: 11 cm, 8 cm

Depth: 8.3 cm, 12.6 cm

MPN: WDBAAA5000ABK-EESN, WDBAAA5000ABL-EESN, WDBAAA5000AWT-EESN, WDMEB5000TE, WDMES5000TE, WDMER5000TE, WDME5000, WDMEW5000TE, WDBAAA5000ARD-EESN, WDBAAA5000ASL-EESN, WDME5000TE

Capacity: 500 GB

Interface: USB 2.0

Features: Password authentication

Device Type: Hard drive - external ( portable )

Listed on Ciao since: 29/12/2009