What About Me - Quicksilver Messenger Service

What About Me - Quicksilver Messenger Service

Review of "What About Me - Quicksilver Messenger Service"

published 11/02/2008 | Amy69
Member since : 28/05/2007
Pro hilareous, nice length, great cast
Cons n/a

"What angels are really like!"

One fantastic film!

One fantastic film!

When I was asked if I wanted to go in to see Over Her Dead Body with my two friends, I was slightly hesitant at first; did this seem like a film for me? I wasn't really too sure what it was about, but decided to go for it anyway!

Plot Outline

Animal Vet Henry's sister Chloe takes him to see a Psychic named Ashley after his wife, Kate, is crushed by an 'angel' ice sculpture on their wedding day. Henry does not believe in Psychic powers all that much, especially when their reading is interrupted. Though, Chloe is determined to make him smile again, so she passes Kate's diary onto Ashley in order for her to 'fake' messages from beyond.

After regularly seeing each other now, Ashley and Henry fall for one another and start dating. Meanwhile, Kate - now an angel - wanders Earth in order to complete her mission; she feels she ought to do all she can to break up Henry and Ashley. Revealing her presence to the Psychic, Kate follows Ashley around, teasing her, never leaving her alone. Will she succeed? Can she split up the couple?

Main Cast

Genre; comedy
Runtime; 95 minutes
Certificate; 12A (UK)

What Did I Think?

It's not very often that I give a film top marks; there are usually one or two flaws. Though, I find myself giving complete praise and nothing less to Over Her Dead Body. Although I was not too familiar with the plot before I went to see it, it still was nothing like what I had in mind. I expected it to be more of a chick-flick (something I cannot always watch), but instead it was more like a straight comedy!

The story itself is not too unique; there have been a few similar films, the general idea of trying to break up a relationship. How the director has approached this though is a lot more personal and exciting.

It's been a while since I found myself actually laughing out loud at a film; I tend o just giggle inside my head. Surprising myself, I did laugh at this film on more than one occasion! Without giving away the most hysterical bits (I hate it when that happens), I'll just say the two incidents I found the most comic involve an overweight lump of a dog, and a hotdog (or Spanish Sausage). I think both issues on their own sound rather amusing!

I was very impressed with the cast line-up too, perhaps one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much. The first fantastic piece of talent is none other that Paul Rudd. He has been one of my favourite actors ever since he was cast as Mike Hannigan in American TV show Friends. He always makes me smile, so I was sure this film would be a winner, just based on that! Then there's Lindsay Sloan. I'm not sure how well-known she is for her recent roles in film and television, but for those Sabrina The Teenage Witch fans, you will adore her for her role as Valerie! She too is a fantastic actress! Of course, there is no denying the great talents of the rest of the cast, I had just never heard of them until now!

The length of the film is quite a delight too. I'd say it isn't too long, so it doesn't drag on, but at the same time, it's not so short that the quantity of detail is weak. I suppose the time went by rather quickly too because I enjoyed it so much!

Do I Recommend?

I have absolutely no problems recommending this film to anybody! With a certificate of 12A, it means that anybody can see it, providing they are accompanied if underage. I think the humour in it would apply to a wide variety of people, though the way the jokes are portrayed may be picked up differently. If you like films like Bruce Almighty, then this is certainly a film for you! If you have never seen Bruce Almighty, then I'd suggest you go and experience the wonders of this film all the same!

*****
Over Her Dead Body is an exceptionally hilarious film, with a great cast line-up and fantastic plot. The film becomes more interesting as the plot progresses, with many a surprise cropping up. This definitely puts a different image on the more traditional 'angel', and is most certainly one of the best films I have ever seen! Now I just need to wait for the release of the DVD!

© Amy 2008

*You can find out more about the film at http://www.overherdeadbodymovie.com/.

• Timbo3107 published 14/02/2008
    Good review, and congrats on going Orange!!!!
  • starjen published 14/02/2008
    This sounds like a funny film that I'd enjoy. Great review.
  • Secre published 14/02/2008
    Another brilliant review...sounds like a movie I'd actualy enjoy - and there's not many of those...my list of books and pther things I need to do like films is growing larger! Lissy