What About Me - Quicksilver Messenger Service

What About Me - Quicksilver Messenger Service

Review of "What About Me - Quicksilver Messenger Service"

published 29/04/2009 | chugglebunny
Member since : 18/10/2007
Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for any rates. Sorry I don't have time to thank you all individually but they are all appreciated. x
Satisfactory
Pro See review
Cons See review

"Over her dead body!"

***Film Only Review***

Over her dead body is another romantic comedy that doesn't quite deliver I'm afraid. Its a simple story where in Kate (Eva Longoria Parker) is accidentally killed on her wedding day and thinks she is still around to save her fiance; Henry (Paul Judd) from getting involved with Ashley (Lake Bell) when really she is just stopping him moving on and being happy.

There are a few key reasons why this film isn't quite as good as it could have been. The main one being the casting. Lake Bell who plays the open minded psychic Ashley had the only performance that leaves any impression. Paul Judd who appears to be the same character in everything he does recently, is a little wooden and I found it really hard to get involved with his character and to attach any emotion to his situation. He should have been lovable and provoked sympathy, but I couldn't help feeling a little bored by him.

Eva Longoria Parker is a very similar case. I can honestly say I have never seen her in any other film, but this isn't one to make me want to look up any others. She just pouts and stomps around making the odd sarcastic comment while failing again like Judd to provoke any interest in her situation. I was expecting to feel a little understanding towards her attitude, and have a little sadness at watching the man she loves moving on in front of her eyes. But again, it was lacking.

Besides the wooden acting from 2 of the main characters, I also couldn't help wondering why they even chose these 2 as a couple. Henry is supposed to be caring and sweet, where as Kate seems very selfish and spoilt. I am glad they didn't have a lot of screen time together (well, not when they can both see each other) as it was painful enough just for the few minutes Kate was alive. They did not seem to match and the 2 actors had no chemistry, which at least Lake Bell did add a little sizzle to the mix.

The film was very predictable, following the usual; Girl meets boy, girl looses boy due to some lie, bet or secret and eventually all works out ok, as do most films of this genre, but was predictable to the point that each scene could be called. I was not expecting anything different, nor was I expecting some major surprises and plot twists, but it almost felt like the director was following every previous example of this formula without trying to add anything new at all.

As for the comedy part of "romantic comedy" I did giggle once or twice, but these were not at anything in the film that was down to good writing or acting. I think the main thing that made me laugh was when Henry's sister dropped a cat and when his work colleagues dropped a dog...now this is hardly comic genius and the only time I giggled, which I would say was more down to my initial shock factor of someone dropping an animal. It was far from side splitting stuff.

Overall, It is not a film I would watch again. It is very forgettable and just standard. I would not suggest anyone buying this, although it can be picked up for very cheap these days. I would say its one to watch if there is nothing else on TV. It did keep my eyes open for the whole run time, but it just could have been better.

Thanks for reading :)

• emmyjepson published 22/07/2009
    I always wanted to see this, and it's only now that I've just realised that I never did! Nicely written review x
  • plod591 published 13/05/2009
    Guess I shall pass on this one, doesn't tickle my fancy at all. :>)
  • Maxlarndison published 09/05/2009