What is your best winter sport experience?

What is your best winter sport experience?

Review of "What is your best winter sport experience?"

published 05/01/2012 | T8stee
Member since : 09/08/2007
Pro option to use chair lift, own pace, free
Cons scary, needs right conditions, can get busy

"Swiss Wall"

In my opinion, you can't really say you're a skier until you've been down Swiss Wall. The first few times I did it was on a chair lift, and that was scary enough. Swiss Wall sits on the border between France and Switzerland, nestled in the heart of the Portes Du Soliel ski region.
La Pas de Chavenette, to give it it's formal title, is an orange mogul piste not for the faint hearted. Even to stand at the top of the piste raises the heart rate and brings about an attack of vertigo, but being scared is a great way to realise you are alive.
Really, there's nothing to be scared of. If conditions are unfavourable, or you decided that today is not the right one, then the chairlift will take you down to Les Crosets, where you will find beautifully undulating pistes, heavenly hot chocolate and a massive ski region to explore.
But if you take the plunge, it will be an experience to savour, boast about and recall time and again. Best of all, it will be something you conquer alone. You will be the boss, going at a pace which suits you, forging your own path, turning as much or as little as you like and stopping only to draw breath, take in the heavely sights and wave at the less brave, sitting on the chair lift.
Like childbirth, attempting the wall was something I regretted starting when I was about 20 metres down, with 300 to go. But, like childbirth, once you start there's no going back. It's far more dangerous to take off your board or skis and try to walk back up. I simply wiped away my tears, popped a chocolate bar in my mouth and soldiered on. After a while, the steep moguls gave way to a wider piste, giving the opportunity to traverse further and pick up some speed. After a while, I forgot my fear and let my excitement carry me on.
I think it should be on the bucket list of every snow lover alive today.

• P_J123 published 05/01/2012
    i went to Portes Du soliel it was great fun, however we wern't allowed to go on that run...we had a mean ski instructor :(

Product Information : What is your best winter sport experience?

Listed on Ciao since: 23/12/2011