What is your summer song 2017?

What is your summer song 2017?

Review of "What is your summer song 2017?"

published 06/08/2017 | cr01
Member since : 13/05/2008
Pro Always on the search for new music
Cons None for me

"Top Summer Song - I've Found What I've Been Looking For..."

Following Ciao’s decision to downgrade music reviews to non-paying ones (and insulting every music reviewer within their statement on the decision) I’ve gone right back to my writing roots where I began 33 years ago; I’ve recently been doing a little work for an online music fanzine. This means I get free and reduced priced gig tickets and I’ve been out and about listening to a fair bit of grass roots music this summer.

Support New Music

First up is a little plea to everyone who enjoys music, give a hand to the industry; things are fairly dire at grass roots level. In terms of vibrancy, the sheer number and variety of acts have probably never been greater. It has never been so easy for a kid to pick up a cheap electric guitar or a computerised music package. Conversely, it’s never been so hard as to make a few quid from the industry. Release a record and see it make pennies on Spotify, the decline of the number of live music venues over recent years, and a general polarisation where people will pay a fortune to see the “big boys” but ignore tomorrow’s big boys by not going to see a smaller act means it’s really tough out there. Even if you get a break as a support act to a larger band you might find the promoter has a “pay to play” arrangement. Acts are getting strangled at birth,

If everyone just supports the big boys where are the new acts going to come from?

So, if you like music and enjoy exploring different sounds can I ask you get out there on a night and see what’s out there. I can guarantee you won’t be the oldest (I’ll be there for one), and those £5, £6, £7 ticket prices means you can see a great many artists compared to those £50 a pop stadium tickets. I usually do my bit by buying a bit of vinyl at the gig in lieu of my freebee entrance ticket.
Tom Grennan – Found What I’ve Been Looking For

Young Bedford geezer Tom Grennan is the act I’ve seen most this year – I’ve seen Tom live 4 times since just before Christmas. I’ve followed live music since Depeche Mode in 1980, and Tom is as a sure-fire bet to hit the top of the tree as any I’ve ever seen. Tom’s voice is magnificent and he’s a hard worker who used to go round each of the pub tables before and after his gig to say Hi and to stop for a few chirpy words and a selfie (as his audiences have grown it’s impossible for him to get around everyone nowadays, but you will still probably find him hanging around after the gig).

Musically Tom’s voice is massive in the old man blues tradition, and in style he both tips a nod in the direction of traditional and contemporary. Tom Grennan’s song Found What I’ve Been Looking For is a live favourite and a nice flowing mainstream banger. It’s got a lovely summer carefree feel, and builds upon the current popularity of the likes of Rag N Bone Man, John Newman and the like. The EP it comes from contains a few demos which show a different side to Grennan; here I get something of a Jake Bugg vibe. Given Grennan has sung on a Chase and Status hit (All Goes Wrong) with an electronic dance vibe, there seems no end to his versatility.

I’ve snagged tickets for Grennan’s autumn shows (I think there are a few left on sale), but given I don’t tend to pay much more than £15 for a gig ticket I suspect it will probably be my final time riding on the Grennan Express, as he moves onwards and upwards.

Larkins: Sugar Sweet

OK I’m greedy and I’m going for two summer songs. Taking a step down the ladder towards grass roots another band that has impressed me this summer (and they gave me a lovely and warm interview although it must have been akin to being interrogated by their slightly drunk prospective father in law), is Larkins. These are good Manchester boys who named their band after the Hull poet Philip Larkin; they even answered my question about what signature dish they would cook if they were invited onto Sunday Brunch.

Anyway, there’s a fair bit of calypso pop around this summer (think early 1980’s and power pop), and Larkins offer a great example with their banging indie summer single Sugar Sweet. There’s something of Haircut 100, Duran Duran and the like but brought up to date, given some punch and made super cool. Live Larkins are well worth taking in and each of the young musicians are confident, friendly and cool. They give a great show for £7 (and there were 3 good support bands on too).

Summer Sum Up: Keep it local

Believe it or not I’m become a great fan of Beiber’s recent music, although you just know it’s all going to go horribly wrong for the silly, deluded and petulant lad at some point.

As the summer pseudo Spanish (Puerto Rico) song Despacito seems to grab a mention elsewhere in this competition, I thought I’d observe I like the catchy tune Despacito, although the singers (apart from the Biebs) seem to be making a bit too much of an effort on it. However, the net effect all feels rather remote to me. Perhaps we like the idea of a summer escape, but I’d personally rather support home grown talent with more local and realistic reference points.

I’m doing “staycation” musically this summer.

• mikemelmak published 13/11/2017
    Fantastic review and read. And all the greats started off doing the bread & butter gigs too!
  • kiss_me2070 published 07/08/2017
    Great read.
  • SirJoseph published 07/08/2017
    Well said! (*Hear hear!)

Product Information : What is your summer song 2017?

Listed on Ciao since: 31/07/2017

What is your summer song 2017? - Review - Top Summer Song - I've Found What I've Been Looking For...
Home > Ciao Caf > Current Debate > What is your summer song 2017? > Reviews

cr01 5

cr01

About me: Now writing music gig reviews for free tickets. Sorry ciao, less time for you now; just wish you hadn't stopped paying for music reviews.

Member since:13.05.2008

Top Summer Song - I've Found What I've Been Looking For...

06.08.2017

Advantages:
Always on the search for new music

Disadvantages:
None for me

30 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. mikemelmak
  2. bettyboo47
  3. CoffeeQueen68
  1. euphie
  2. kiss_me2070
  3. SirJoseph

Following Ciaos decision to downgrade music reviews to non-paying ones (and insulting every music reviewer within their statement on the decision) Ive gone right back to my writing roots where I began 33 years ago; Ive recently been doing a little work for an online music fanzine. This means I get free and reduced priced gig tickets and Ive been out and about listening to a fair bit of grass roots music this summer.

Support New Music

First up is a little plea to everyone who enjoys music, give a hand to the industry; things are fairly dire at grass roots level. In terms of vibrancy, the sheer number and variety of acts have probably never been greater. It has never been so easy for a kid to pick up a cheap electric guitar or a computerised music package. Conversely, its never been so hard as to make a few quid from the industry. Release a record and see it make pennies on Spotify, the decline of the number of live music venues over recent years, and a general polarisation where people will pay a fortune to see the big boys but ignore tomorrows big boys by not going to see a smaller act means its really tough out there. Even if you get a break as a support act to a larger band you might find the promoter has a pay to play arrangement. Acts are getting strangled at birth,

So, if you like music and enjoy exploring different sounds can I ask you get out there on a night and see whats out there. I can guarantee you wont be the oldest (Ill be there for one), and those 5, 6, 7 ticket prices means you can see a great many artists compared to those 50 a pop stadium tickets. I usually do my bit by buying a bit of vinyl at the gig in lieu of my freebee entrance ticket.
Tom Grennan Found What Ive Been Looking For

Young Bedford geezer Tom Grennan is the act Ive seen most this year Ive seen Tom live 4 times since just before Christmas. Ive followed live music since Depeche Mode in 1980, and Tom is as a sure-fire bet to hit the top of the tree as any Ive ever seen. Toms voice is magnificent and hes a hard worker who used to go round each of the pub tables before and after his gig to say Hi and to stop for a few chirpy words and a selfie (as his audiences have grown its impossible for him to get around everyone nowadays, but you will still probably find him hanging around after the gig).

Musically Toms voice is massive in the old man blues tradition, and in style he both tips a nod in the direction of traditional and contemporary. Tom Grennans song Found What Ive Been Looking For is a live favourite and a nice flowing mainstream banger. Its got a lovely summer carefree feel, and builds upon the current popularity of the likes of Rag N Bone Man, John Newman and the like. The EP it comes from contains a few demos which show a different side to Grennan; here I get something of a Jake Bugg vibe. Given Grennan has sung on a Chase and Status hit (All Goes Wrong) with an electronic dance vibe, there seems no end to his versatility.

Ive snagged tickets for Grennans autumn shows (I think there are a few left on sale), but given I dont tend to pay much more than 15 for a gig ticket I suspect it will probably be my final time riding on the Grennan Express, as he moves onwards and upwards.

Larkins: Sugar Sweet

OK Im greedy and Im going for two summer songs. Taking a step down the ladder towards grass roots another band that has impressed me this summer (and they gave me a lovely and warm interview although it must have been akin to being interrogated by their slightly drunk prospective father in law), is Larkins. These are good Manchester boys who named their band after the Hull poet Philip Larkin; they even answered my question about what signature dish they would cook if they were invited onto Sunday Brunch.

Anyway, theres a fair bit of calypso pop around this summer (think early 1980s and power pop), and Larkins offer a great example with their banging indie summer single Sugar Sweet. Theres something of Haircut 100, Duran Duran and the like but brought up to date, given some punch and made super cool. Live Larkins are well worth taking in and each of the young musicians are confident, friendly and cool. They give a great show for 7 (and there were 3 good support bands on too).

Summer Sum Up: Keep it local

Believe it or not Im become a great fan of Beibers recent music, although you just know its all going to go horribly wrong for the silly, deluded and petulant lad at some point.

As the summer pseudo Spanish (Puerto Rico) song Despacito seems to grab a mention elsewhere in this competition, I thought Id observe I like the catchy tune Despacito, although the singers (apart from the Biebs) seem to be making a bit too much of an effort on it. However, the net effect all feels rather remote to me. Perhaps we like the idea of a summer escape, but Id personally rather support home grown talent with more local and realistic reference points.

Im doing staycation musically this summer.

Write your own review Report a problem with this reviews content

mikemelmak 13.11.2017 11:18