Review of "Which?"

published 28/07/2000 | jmmaury1
Member since : 28/07/2000
Pro Can always connect, access to excellent consumer reports
Cons It costs monthly and call charges

"Good value service"

I've been with WOL for a while now - I like their service.
At this point I must confess that I seldom use them as my dial-up access to the Internet - why? because I use WorldOnline (was Localtel) and screaming.net so that my Internet calls are free.

Why do I still fork out money for WOL then? As with most unmetered ISPs, there can be congestion times. I signed up with Which? before the ISP market got saturated (maybe even before it really took off) and am still with them as my back-up ISP.

The advanage I see with WOL is that they *actually provide a service* rather than being just a glorified portal. Their service is access to the wealth of knowledge and research conducted by the Consumers Association.

I personally don't like subscribing to hard copy magazines anymore - I don't get time to read them and when I do, I seldom read the whole thing. E-zines are ideal then for me, hence my preference for access to the electronic form of Which?

Naturally then there is the advantage of being able to readily access archive material. Plus as well there's access to Health Which?, Gardening Which? Money news etc. etc.

If like me then you've covered your Internet expenses by being with an unmetered ISP or scheme, £8/month is not much to pay for access to a very reliable back-up ISP WITH access to excellent consumer reports.