Review of "Which?"

Member since : 13/08/2000
Pro Content. Access.
Cons Cost of calls.

"It's Which Jim..."

If you are a member of the Consumers Association, it doesn't cost much to subscribe to Which Online. Approximately five pounds per month. I've no idea how much it is for a non-member.

Connection has always been first time and have never experienced the sort of slowing down that I have from some 'free' providers.

Content is very good indeed with access to the C.A.'s huge library of product tests.

Another bonus is you receive further discounts from some e-retailers. It's not enough to pay for your subscription, (unless you buy a lot), but is better than some store loyalty cards.

There are moderated dicussion forums that have the normal smattering of useful stuff amongst the dross.

My only real criticism is a perceived reluctance to move toward cheaper net access. You pay standard local call rates.

This did irritate me until I started to try the alternatives. Some 'free' ISP's are not all they are cracked up to be, (surprise, surprise).

After all, being the Consumers Association, they cannot afford to launch a service based on vapour, as some ISP's have tried to do. It has to be thoroughly tested before you get it. Which I suppose is no bad thing.

All in all I give WOL the thumbs up: with reservations. It would get my wholehearted recommendation if it offered cheaper access.