Review of "Which?"

published 13/02/2006 | susancarter
Member since : 05/01/2006
Pro Consumer Watchdog, loads of information at your finger tips
Cons "Free" trial not free, they don't return money taken by mistake

"Watchdog Needed to Watch Consumer Watchdog!"

Having heard good things about the Which? online 30 day free trial, I thought I'd give it a go. Unfortunately, it is not platform independent (i.e. it is designed for Windows users) and I use Risc OS so I was unable to access all the features. The actual service seems okay but I would advise people not to sign up for the trial unless they expect to remain subscribed.

I cancelled my subscription following the terms of the "free" trial as I couldn't access all the features and I did not have the leisure to look at it through a slow dial up connection. That is where the problems started. My next bank statement had two monthly payments taken (the first payment had been late as it had fallen at the weekend). I phoned them up and they said they would cancel the account and that I could have the money back if I forwarded my original cancellation e-mail. This I did but they did not refund the money.

I wrote to them and they said I had not cancelled in time. I wrote back proving I had cancelled far in excess of the required notice period. They wrote back apologising for any *confusion* (not distress, inconvenience or waste of time or money) and said they would credit it to the bank account I had told them two months earlier had been closed. I have since written a number of times but have still not been able to get back the money they took erroneously.

It is not the fact that they took money from me that makes me say beware. It is the fact that they have not sorted this out in over six months.

*****************UPDATE 25/2/06*****************
Today I finally got my money back. I had written to the person in charge of Which and quoted lots of things from their website about how they are supposed to help the consumer. The person who wrote to me said she was "appalled" that my refund had not been dealt with and apologised for the unacceptable service. They also gave me an extra £10 to cover all my photocopying and postage costs. I'd still say be acreful but I thought I should be fair to them by saying that I have now got the refund.

• kitty17 published 28/02/2006
    More info about features that you could access would have been helpful, and a bit more general info about how user-friendly the site was etc, hope this helps, Ellie.
  • 6chris6 published 25/02/2006
    Think somebody should tell Which about Which! oh no that would be silly wouldn't it! I would have rated higher but you didn't really say anything about the website and the things it offered! take care...chris...
  • susancarter published 13/02/2006
    Not sure if this is the best way of replying to a comment but will do this for now... It wasn't direct debit, it was a debit card payment (or rather two) so I don't believe there's any such protection. I closed that bank account partly because of the fact that the bank was incompetent anyway.