Whirlpool AKP207/WH

Whirlpool AKP207/WH

Stylish stainless steel Whirlpool Single Oven, Grill & Circa Fan for great cooking with easy-to-clean glass inner door and energy-saving insulation.

Review of "Whirlpool AKP207/WH"

published 13/07/2012 | Chuckles1987
Member since : 17/07/2007
Happy to be back after a long break! Hello!
Pro Good price. Cooks efficiently and evenly
Cons Difficult to clean
Performance
User's Manual
Cleaning & Maintenance

"Whirlpool AKP207"

Last year I made my début in kitchen designing, that is to say I designed my own kitchen.
After buying a house last July which had the most awful kitchen I have ever seen complete with leaky sink, surfaces and cupboards that were painted in splodgy beige paint and an oven that looked like it had been discarded by the Flinstones for being too dated, kicked about by an oven hating nazi and then plonked unceremoniously in the middle of my kitchen.
Suffice to say I had a kitchen in dire need of a complete overhaul. Firstly I chose my layout using an online kitchen planner, then after selecting my units (a dark oak veneer) and colour scheme (black and stainless steel) I began the arduous task of selecting which oven I should choose.
To cut a long story slightly shorter I ended up choosing the Whirlpool AKP207 in stainless steel.

Reasons I chose the Whirlpool AKP207

As the proud owner of a house that needs a flip-load of work doing to it money was one of the primary concerns I had when selecting a model. I picked up the Whirlpool AKP207 for £250 but have since seen it reduced to under £200.
I chose an electric fan oven as this was the type of oven I had used in my previous home, and the type of oven that I feel most confident with. As a natural domestic goddess..., sorry I mean... As a person who can barely cook sunday dinner without some catastrophe or other I like to keep the variables to a minimum!
Energy rating, capacity and warranty were also considerations of mine, although I have to admit that appearance was rather a swaying factor in many of my kitchen choices.
The Whirlpool AKP207 has an A energy rating for efficiency which hopefully helps to keep the zeros on the end of my electricity bill down a little bit! The Oven has a capacity of 53 litres, which is advertised as 'family sized'. I live in a 2 person household and find this to be sufficient for our needs, but I remain unconvinced that this would provide enough room for a larger family/household.
With a 1 year warranty as standard I felt slightly reassured that if there are any major problems I won't be out of pocket, at least for the first 12 months!
Using the Whirlpool AKP207

According to the manual the Whirlpool AKP207 has five functions. Of these five functions I have used an extravagant TWO. The first being what I call 'oven with fan' the second being 'grill'. This is all I require but I like knowing there are more options available that I will never ever use!
I have found the oven cooks food very efficiently and evenly, although often faster than expected which led to a couple of slightly overdone (okay terribly burnt) the first couple of times I used the oven. I know fan ovens do cook faster than regular electric ovens but mine seems very fast, perhaps it is just because it is new, but now I am used to checking my food slightly sooner than packets suggested cooking times.
Cosmetically I am extremely pleased with the oven, my kitchen looks a million times better even though I am still waiting to tile and paint the walls. (Pictures to follow!)

I'm really very happy with my oven, the only problem I have to report so far is that I find it quite difficult to clean the grease that can get in-between the glass front. There is a way to get in and clean it but I do find it quite tricky.

This has been my first review in a long time, so please ask if I've missed anything you'd like to know and I'll be happy to add to it.

Thanks for reading :)

• nikkired published 20/07/2012
    Does the glass not slide out? I discovered that the glass is my oven door did after about three years of owning it!!
  • torr published 16/07/2012